Chapter 7 A Fearful Night

Narrated by Aubrey

     After many long hours, dusk came when we finally arrived at the sea coast. We carefully descended the steep, rocky, sea cliffs which were very dangerous and nerve racking, and we reached the beach side that was on the bottom. It took us a while to reach the bottom since the cliffs were so high. Fortunately, the tide was low which we needed in order to look for a sea cave pictured on our map where the sword was supposedly located. I enjoyed the salty, sea breeze and the sound of splashing waves against rocks, especially because I was tired of constantly smelling the same pine forest scent of the Enchanted Forest.

     After journeying on the coast for a while, it grew dark out, but a full moon was our only source of light besides our lanterns. We started to grow anxious since we still could not sight any caves yet and especially because we were worried that high tide would come in any moment. We were chilled to the bone and too exhausted to go any further. "Maybe we should turn back now," Kaylee said anxiously. "It's late now, and I feel like we are going nowhere after walking here for probably an hour or so. Maybe we are lost or even passed the cave. I'm starting to feel very panicked right now."

     "Okay," I replied, nodding. "Let's turn back now and try again tomorrow. It's not worth it if we end up drowning." I also started to feel panicked. "I just hope we can beat the tide."

     "Actually, turning back is probably not the best idea," said Kaylee with a shiver. "It would take us way too long, but maybe we can continue further on in hopes of finding cliffs that we can actually safely climb up. It's the best option we have. Come on, we may be tired, but we have to run."

     Despite feeling fatigued, we ran in a desperate pursuit of finding a way off the enclosed shore. But as we were running, suddenly, I saw something that I did not think we could discover now, and it was, to my great delight, a sea cave. And this sea cave looked exactly like the image shown on our map. "There it is!" I exclaimed, pointing, while huffing and puffing. "It's actually the sea cave!"

     "Oh my gosh!" Kaylee responded, breathing heavily. "We almost passed it!"

     "Come on!" I shouted with eagerness, ushering Kaylee. "Maybe we can make it out before the tide comes in. This is our chance, and we may not be able to find it again. There's still hope, and I don't think we should give up just now." That moment, for some reason I did not feel nearly as afraid, only determined now. I entered the dark cave without any fear, only interest, and I shined my lantern inside. All the rock formations due to erosion captivated me. "Kaylee!" I hollered, my voice echoing inside the cave. "You have to see this! It's incredible!"

     "Aubrey, are you sure about this?" Kaylee hollered. "Remember the tide?"

     "I'm sure it will stay low for a little longer," I hollered back. "We will be quick."

     "Well, if you say so," Kaylee responded, sounding nervous and unsure. After she entered, her expression grew wild with wonder. "Woah," she said with a gasp.

     "I know right! It's so cool! Come on, let's hurry and find that hidden sword. I'm sure the sword won't be far. I mean, how far inside can a sea cave possibly go?"

     But the cave kept going on in the direction we headed, longer than I expected it to, and that was when we began to feel nervous. A cold chill ran down my spine, and I shivered a lot. Then I started to feel claustrophobic and very panicked; I was afraid we were going to get lost and that the tide would come in and trap us. This was no longer an exciting exploration, and now I forgot about the sword since all I thought about now was getting out.

     "We should have waited to come here!" Kaylee yelled with panic. "We should turn back now so we don't get lost." I definitely agreed, so we decided we would attempt the search again tomorrow when we would have more time. But as we were heading back, for some odd reason, we did not recognize where we were heading. Then we realized we were heading the wrong direction. "I don't understand!" Kaylee said frantically. "I don't recognize where we are! How are we lost already!"