Chapter 44 Back at Last

Narrated by Kaylee

     We were back in Storybrooke. I really missed this place, and it felt good to be back. Suddenly, I saw Grumpy running up to us, waving his arms about in a wild frenzy, shouting, "They're back!" The whole town was aroused and surrounded us, flooding us with questions. Belle and Mr. Gold then welcomed us warmly. It had been about four months. Granny said that our arrival called for a celebration, so we all had a celebration in her diner, and everyone brought food. We told stories to the people, which greatly interested them, then Mr. Gold and Belle announced to us that they got married, and we warmly congratulated them.

     The next day, Regina decided to bring up about the genie lamp to her mother during breakfast. "I admit I threw it into the sea so that you and Zelena would stay here," Cora began. "I thought by hiding it, we could be together, a family again. I was afraid you and Zelena would leave and that I would lose you both again. But I guess it makes no difference since Zelena is gone."

     "How could you, Mother!" exclaimed Regina indignantly. "How could you lie to me! Get it back now, we need it. It's our only way home."

     "I'm so sorry," Cora responded with deep regret. "I will get it back for you, I promise. It was a very selfish thing for me to do." Cora sighed.

     "We can talk about that after you get it back," Regina replied coldly.

     Cora led us onto the dock by the shore, and she magically tried to levitate the chest containing the lamp from the sea, but she failed. "I don't understand, this is where I dropped it," she said with confusion. "I'm sorry, Regina, but I can't find it. I think it's lost."

     "Maybe you have the wrong location," Regina pointed out. "Try harder."

     "No, this is where I dropped it," replied Cora. "I clearly remember. I really am sorry. This is all my fault."

     "How could you lose our only way of getting back to the Enchanted Forest?" Regina exclaimed angerly. "Great, we are stuck here now thanks to you. You may have won by keeping me here with you, but that doesn't mean we are a happy family again."

     "Regina, wait, let me make this up to you," Cora pleaded.

     "I don't want to talk to you nor see you, Mother," Regina responded coldly. "All you have ever done and will ever do is push me further away." Then she started to walk away.

     Suddenly, Mr. Gold spoke when he was approaching. "The genie lamp isn't our only way of going back. There's another way."

     Regina stopped and turned around. "Like what, Gold? What is your clever plan?"

     Mr. Gold grinned. "I think you're forgetting that Jefferson's hat is a portal to any magical realm, including the Enchanted Forest."

     "You're right!" Regina exclaimed. "I can't believe I forgot!"

     "There we have it," Mr. Gold returned.

     "Now that I think about it, the twins won't be able to return home since they will still be in a time aberration," said Regina. "The genie lamp was the only thing that could have put time back to normal, but now thanks to my mother, it's gone." She then let out an exasperated sigh.

     "We are going to have to figure something else out," I said. "What matters is that you all can finally go home."

(In Storybrooke while we are in Camelot)

     A mermaid with red hair approached Storybrooke's shore where she spotted a chest on the sea floor. She tried opening it, but it was locked, so she took it in her arms and swam to shore. She emerged from the water and hauled herself onto the sand, then at once, her tailed disappeared, transforming into legs. She tried to find anything sharp to pick the lock with and found a sharp stick that she used. With success, she got the chest open. She took out a golden oil lamp and stared at it curiously. "What is this?" she muttered to herself. "How pretty it is. It will be a great addition to my collection." When she brushed her hand against the side of it with admiration, suddenly, the genie emerged from the lamp, startling the mermaid so much that she dropped the lamp and fell backwards.