Chapter 9 Escape

Narrated by Aubrey

     The next morning, we woke up to the delicious smell of eggs cooking and fresh bread out of the oven. "Good morning," greeted Snow, who was making breakfast. Kaylee and I sat down at the table where all the dwarfs were already seated.

     After breakfast, all of a sudden, we heard a loud, startling bang at the door. Then a voice was heard from outside. "By the queen's order, open up!" demanded a man who I guessed was a black knight. I knew that they were only after Snow, Kaylee, and me.

     "Hide you three!" Grumpy demanded us. "Hurry! Those assholes are coming nowhere near here!" he added indignantly, his face reddening. Then he quickly took up a cross bow and directed it toward the door.

     Snow ushered Kaylee and me to a back window, and as we were climbing out of it, I heard the cottage door abruptly open up. "Get out of my house, you idiots, or I'll shoot!" I heard Grumpy exclaim with hot rage. "It's just us dwarfs living here!"

     But the black knights ignored Grumpy and searched the cottage anyway. But finding no trace of us, they retreated. I was relieved that they did not capture any of the dwarfs or hurt them.

     "Phew, that was close," Kaylee said with a sigh of relief. "Do you think the queen knows where we are living?"

     "Let's just hope she does not," Snow responded solemnly. "I don't want to endanger the dwarfs because of us. It's not a risk I'm willing to take."

     Grumpy approached us where we were still hidden. "It's safe now, Sisters," he said.

     We told Grumpy our concerns about him and his brothers, but all Grumpy replied was, "I ain't afraid of the Evil Queen! And I promise to keep the three of you safe. Everywhere else is dangerous. Now I won't have you worrying about us; it's you three I'm worried about." Then he turned directly to Snow. "You were the one to tell me that putting friends first is one of the most valuable attributes of courage, and that is exactly what I'm doing."

     Snow smiled warmly. "I did say that, didn't I. What a true warrior you are, Grumpy."

     Later that day, Snow, Kaylee, and I decided to go blackberry picking. We didn't want to let the occurrence that happened earlier keep us from having fun, and we were not afraid. We had a great time and even ate a lot of berries as we were at it. After Snow left to a different area, suddenly, Kaylee and I heard a familiar voice from behind us. Quickly whipping around, we saw who we dreaded to see, Rumpelstiltskin. We were afraid to tell him that we destroyed the urn.

     "My apologies, Dearies," he said. "Didn't mean to intrude. What a fine day for berry picking, is it not?"

     I was surprised that he did not sound angry, then I boldly replied, "We aren't going back with you."

     "Oh, I'm only here for the object I sent you to get for me that I assume you have procured by now," he replied. "Have you forgotten?"

     Kaylee and I quickly exchanged nervous glances. Then I took up my courage and blurted out, "We destroyed the urn because we found out how dangerous it was, especially in your hands. It wasn't a risk we were willing to take."

     Rumpelstiltskin replied, "Let me get this straight. A deal must be abided by and more importantly," he pointed up his finger, "never broken. Now, I know you did not destroy the urn, so where are you hiding it?" Then he demanded fiercely, "Tell me this once!"

     "Well sorry to disappoint you, but like I said before, it's destroyed," I hotly responded.

     Immediately, Rumpelstiltskin's face drew up into great surprise. Then he exclaimed, "You're lying! It is impossible to destroy the urn!"