Chapter 24 The Story Book

Narrated by Kaylee

     "As long as we're here, we are going to need somewhere to stay until we are able to go to New York City," I said. "Come on, let's see if there are any rooms available for rent in the diner.

     "But we don't have money," Aubrey pointed out.

     "I know, but I was thinking that if we did rent a room, then we could pay it off later if we find a job," I replied. "But I guess we probably won't be here long enough to even get the money to pay her back though. But all we can do is try."

     "Alright then," Aubrey replied.

     We entered Granny's diner and timidly approached the old woman at the counter. "Excuse me," I began shyly.

     "Why, what can I get you, Dears?" she asked, looking at us sympathetically. "I've heard that you two are lost. Did you have any luck hearing from your parents yet?"

     "We have had no luck yet," I replied with a sigh. "Anyway, we are just wondering if there are any rooms we could rent out. We don't have money yet, but we promise to pay you back as soon as we find a job."

     "Why, of course, Honey," she replied. "I do have rooms for rent. I don't charge a high price. I'm happy with you paying me back later, so no need to worry about the money right at this moment. Take all the time you need to find yourselves a job."

     "Thank you so much," I said with appreciation.

     "Anytime, Dear," she replied. "I'm happy to help. Now, how about some hot chocolate to cheer you up? It's on the house."

     "You are really kind," I said with a smile. "We would love some, thank you."

     "Here is your key," she said, handing it to me. "Your room will be the first door to the right. As you get yourselves settled, I will get your hot chocolates ready."

     We entered our room, and it was small but cozy. We pulled off our shoes and collapsed onto the bed then lay there for a few minutes. Soon, we washed up and returned to the diner. Our hot chocolates, topped with whipped cream and cinnamon, were ready for us, and we sat at the front counter, enjoying them.

     That night as we slept, I had an anxious dream of being stuck in Storybrooke forever. I woke up thinking that we were back in our own bed at home, and it took me a moment to realize that we weren't. I took a shower to help calm me down, then we went down to the diner, and as we were about to leave, Granny stopped us and wanted us to have something for breakfast even if we were unable to pay. All she cared about was taking care of us which we very much appreciated. Ruby took our order, and we had some hot chocolate with our breakfast. Archie then entered the diner and approached our table. "Good morning, ladies," he said, tipping his hat. "How are you feeling?"

     "Better," I replied.

     "So, I was thinking that I could drive you both to New York City, the nearest city from Storybrooke, so that you might have better reception or phone service to reach your parents," he said in a cheery manner. "I am available since I have no scheduled appointments today. Regina has so kindly offered to cover all your costs."

     "You would do that for us?" I exclaimed, feeling very excited.

     "It would be my pleasure to help my little friends out," Archie responded warmly. "It's the least thing I can do to help. Once you reach your parents, you can have them pick you up in Storybrooke."

     "Well, they wouldn't be able to pick us up in Storybrooke because it doesn't show up on google maps," I pointed out. "They wouldn't know where we were."