Chapter 25 Awake

Narrated by Aubrey

     That morning, we were going to head out to New York City with the sheriff. We were both happy and disappointed at the same time, but leaving Storybrooke was more important because family came first. We packed up our belongings, and Regina generously provided us with money for the trip, enough so we could stay at a hotel while in New York, waiting for our parents to come get us. Handing the room keys back to Granny, we paid her the rest of the money we owed and thanked her for everything. She gave us a hug, grew emotional, and told us how much she'd miss us. That melted my heart, and I knew I would miss her too. Then we said our emotional goodbyes to Archie, David, and Snow, and we were touched with all the sweet things they all said to us. I hated leaving our friends we grew very attached to, and we were really going to miss them all. Saying goodbye was so hard to do.

     Then we said goodbye to Mr. Gold and Regina and soon headed to the sheriff's station when it was time to go. We met up with Sheriff Graham who had his car parked right outside. "Ready to go, Girls?" he asked, approaching us, then we nodded. I took one last glance at the town I grew attached to then we got into the car. As we were driving away, suddenly, I saw Mr. Gold standing outside his shop just staring toward our direction, watching us leave. I decided to wave to him, but he didn't wave back. Instead, he turned around and headed back into his shop.

     "Thanks again, Sheriff," I said as we were approaching the town's end. "We really appreciate this."

     "No problem," he replied cheerfully. "I'm actually looking forward to go to this famous New York City. Never been there before. As long as I remember, I've always remained in Storybrooke. Now this gives me the opportunity to finally go there. I'd be happy to spend the rest of the day there with you."

     "Okay," I replied.

     As we were approaching the sign that said Leaving Storybrooke while Graham was looking down at his phone to bring up GPS, suddenly, a deer ran into the road, and we yelled out to him to stop, but this caused Graham to accidentally swerve the car out of control when he was trying to stop. But it was too late; the car crashed into the town marker, and we all fell unconscious.

     I woke up in what appeared to be a hospital room. I was wearing a hospital gown and in bed with cords attached to me, which came from hospital equipment. My head throbbed terribly, and I felt very dazed and disoriented. There were bandages all over my body and a few on my face. I winced in pain because my body hurt all over. It took me some time to recall what had happened, then I realized why I woke up in the hospital---because of the car accident. I started to freak out and panic because I was so worried about Kaylee who was somewhere else. Once I frantically cried out for her, two nurses rushed into my room, checked on me, and tried to calm me down. They reassured me that Kaylee and Graham were okay which made me relieved. I wanted to see them badly, but the nurses would not let me. As I tried to get up, undermining them, they restrained me, scolded me, and said I was in no condition to get up yet. As soon as I listened, I fell fast asleep.

     I woke up to find Mary Margret placing a vase of sweet-smelling flowers at my bedside. "Oh, I'm sorry; I didn't mean to wake you," she said, turning to me. "How are you feeling?" she warmly asked, looking concerned, and she placed her gentle hand on top of mine.

     "I'm okay," I weakly replied. "It's good to see you, Mary Margret," I added, letting out a grin. "I'm sorry you have to see me this way."

     "Oh, Honey, please don't say that," Mary Margret replied with emotion swelling in her voice. Then she lovingly grabbed both of my hands into her gentle ones and added, "And it's very good to see you. I'm so glad you and your sister are okay. I was so worried about you. I am so sorry what has happened. Anyway, I just checked on your sister and thankfully she is no worse than you. She asked about you and is worried. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you both."