Chapter 14 Neverland

Narrated by Aubrey

     It was three weeks after the trip to Wonderland. We were walking through the local village one fine day to buy food as Rumpelstiltskin requested. As we walked toward the bread shop, I overheard a conversation between two men that perked my curiosity and interest. "Magical beans are rarely found here, but I know that they grow in a place by the name of Neverland," spoke an elderly man who appeared to be the baker himself by his floured apron and hands.

     I suppose I shouldn't be so surprised; after all, Oz and Wonderland exist, I thought with a smile. I quickly turned to Kaylee, feeling thrilled. "Kaylee, I think I just heard the man over there mention, if I heard correctly, Neverland!" I whispered, pointing to him.

     "What! Like the place with Peter Pan, Tinker Bell, and Captain Hook?" Kaylee replied, wide-eyed. "You've got to be kidding me!"

     "And that's not all!" I said with an excited grin. "He also mentioned that magical beans are grown there!"

     "Oh my gosh, really?" Kaylee exclaimed, beaming with hope. "This could be the chance we've been waiting for! But just so we are sure, let's go ask him. Wouldn't that be so cool if we actually went to Neverland. Maybe he went there himself!"

     As soon as the baker was finished talking to the other man and was just about to walk into his shop, we approached him. He was tall, broad, and he had thin gray hair and a scruffy beard. He immediately took notice of us, his eyes showing friendliness, and said cheerfully, "Why hello little ones, can I help you?"

     "Yes, I couldn't help but overhear you mention about a place called Neverland," I replied. "So, it really does exist?"

     "It certainly does!" he responded with a grin, wiping his floured hands onto his apron.

     "And magical beans actually grow there?" I added.

     "Indeed, they do!" he replied.

     Kaylee and I exchanged excited expressions, then I curiously asked, "Have you ever been there?"

     "I actually have as a boy," he replied with a smile, trailing deep into thought. "What good, old memories I will never forget! Now, what would you like to know about it?"

     "Wow!" exclaimed Kaylee. "Could you tell us all about it? How do you get there?"

     "Most certainly!" he merrily replied. "I sure do love sharing my stories! Now, to get to Neverland, all you got to do is call out the name, Peter Pan, and his shadow will appear to you. Then you must grab onto it, and it shall take you to Neverland. It's that easy."

     "Wow, Peter Pan exists!" Kaylee exclaimed, turning to me excitedly. "And his shadow! I guess it instead of Peter Pan himself takes you there. That sounds so bizarre," she added with a giggle, "especially because that would mean his shadow is alive."

     How are we supposed to grab onto a shadow? I thought curiously.

     "Have you ever seen any magical bean trees there?" Kaylee eagerly asked.

     "I have actually never seen any myself since they are rare, but I was told that others have," replied the baker. "If you two went there, you may be likely to find one."

     "Aubrey, there's our hope!" Kaylee said, turning to me, her face lighting up. "We have to go!"

     "Yes, you two certainly should go. I'm glad you know about Neverland now; for it's an amazing opportunity you don't want to miss!" Then the baker began to share his story. "Almost every night as a boy while my folks were asleep, I'd keep my window wide open then call on Peter Pan and sneak off to Neverland for the whole night. I could live a dream without sleeping, a real-life dream! Oh, how remarkable it was flying there! Even in Neverland anyone could fly but with pixie dust of course," he added with a chuckle. "And what is even more remarkable is that nobody ever ages there! You could live a hundred years there but never age a single day! Oh, how amazing Neverland is! It was such a remarkable experience that I will never forget. I would trade anything to relive those moments, but once I grew up, I could not go back anymore since Neverland, as I learned, is only intended for children. That's just how it is. It makes me cherish childhood more than anything. You only stay young for a short time. But you two can go and live the dream!"