Chapter 16 The Elixir

Narrated by Kaylee

     It was the next day. Aubrey and I were ready to face Pan in his final defeat. "To warn you, Mates, Pan has the Lost Boy army for his backup," Hook pointed out. "He may no longer be immortal, but that doesn't guarantee an easy fight, or he may just not decide to show up; for he knows his inevitable fate draws near."

     "If Pan does summon his backup army, we won't kill any of the Lost Boys even if they try to kill us," I said. "They are just helpless teenagers who have been brainwashed, and they need our help. The only person we'd kill is Pan."

     "Aye, you have that right," Hook replied. "Though, the only Lost Boy who seems genuinely loyal to Pan is the tall one, the second one in command to him. What's his name?"

     "Felix," I replied.

     "Yes, that's it," Hook said in recollection. "Pan sure did turn those helpless lads into savages," he added with a sigh, then he took a gulp of his rum.

     We ventured through the forest, and I called out to Pan, "Come out and fight us, unless you're afraid!"

     Suddenly, Pan's voice was heard from behind us. "I scoff in the face of cowardice," he said. We quickly spun around. He stood there with his usual smirk and cocked eyebrow. "I have been waiting for this moment," he added maliciously, "to finally kill you both and prove that the prophecy can be refuted."

     "You will lose, for your fate is inevitable!" I retorted boldly.

     "You underestimate my abilities greatly," he returned with a sinister gaze. "You will soon wish that you never stepped foot here. I'm not what they like to call an easy opponent."

     "We are aware of that, but you aren't so powerful now that we destroyed your elixir," I returned through narrowed eyes.

     "Let's see about that," Pan retorted scornfully. "Now, let's just see how well the prophesied purehearted ones can fight." Suddenly, Pan levitated off the ground, then with a few melodious tunes on his pipe, he summoned his army, the Lost Boys. They immediately came and surrounded us, swinging their weapons wildly and eyeing us threateningly as Pan hovered in a powerful way.

     "You're a coward!" I hollered up toward Pan. "You send them to fight for you!"

     "I call it fair play," Pan returned as he landed back on the ground.

     We blasted our magic at the Lost Boys, which instantly took them by surprise. All of them ran away except Felix. "Such cowards," Pan scoffed. Then he turned to Felix and said to him, "Only you, my noble brother, are willing to stand and fight with me. That's what I call loyalty."

     "I would never fail you, Pan," Felix returned with a dignified nod. "I will always stand by your side and shall always stay loyal to you,"

     "I know," Pan returned with a nod as he lay a hand on his friend's shoulder.

     Felix then turned to us with a sinister gaze. "Time to die!" he said with a thrust of his spear at me. I stopped it midair with a magic technique that I had learned from a spell book Rumpelstiltskin loaned to us. Then the spear dropped, and Felix bit his lip with frustration.

     "Go, my brother; you leave them to me," Pan ordered Felix. "Summoning them all to fight alongside me was only a test to see who would really stay loyal to me, and you have fortunately passed that test unlike the others."

     Felix nodded then took up his spear and left.

     "Only a test?" I questioned dubiously. "I doubt that."