Chapter 6 The Urn and the Sword

Narrated by Kaylee

     That morning, when I woke up, it took me a moment to realize that we were in the cozy, little cottage of the dwarfs. To repay their hospitality, we decided to make them breakfast which consisted of freshly-baked biscuits and a bowl of freshly-picked blackberries. The dwarfs soon awoke and came into the kitchen all sleepy-eyed and yawning. "What is this?" exclaimed Grumpy. "You made us dwarfs breakfast? Boy, it smells scrumptious! Man, am I a hungry dwarf!" All the excited dwarfs took their places at the table, and Sleepy, not fully awake yet, fell asleep at the table then started to snore loudly.

     "It's to repay all of your hostility," I said with a smile.

     "Snow loves to make us breakfast," said Grumpy. "Man, she and you two young'uns share a lot in common; you are all good bakers," he added as he munched on a warm biscuit and scooped berries onto his plate.

     "Where is she now?" I asked. "I thought she lived with you all."

     "She is running from the queen," replied Grumpy. "She doesn't want to get us dwarfs caught hiding her. She's such a sweet, caring thing; she's always looking out for us. That poor girl is going to get herself caught one of these days, but she is so brave and strong like the two of you. Man, she would love to meet you."

     "We would love to meet her as well," I replied.

     After breakfast, our goal was to destroy the urn. First, I tried smashing it, but that didn't work, so Grumpy tried using his pickaxe, but that also did not do any good. He decided to have all of his brothers help out. "Our pickaxes are designed to fish out the most powerful gems, the gems used to make fairy dust," said Grumpy. "One axe may have not done the trick, but all of our axes combined may just do the job. Boys, let's get to work!" All the dwarfs forcefully hacked away at the urn. Grumpy's expression was very determined-looking. Sweat formed on his brow, and he clenched his teeth, then out of frustration, he roared. Unfortunately, not even a small crack appeared on the urn. "It's pointless," puffed Grumpy with exhaustion and great disappointment. "Our axes are not near powerful enough. We need another solution. Boys, we can give up now." Grumpy then threw his axe aside, wiping the sweat from his forehead.

     "We could bury the urn so deep so that no one finds it," Aubrey pointed out.

     "Perhaps, but I think the Blue Fairy is our answer," Grumpy replied. "She probably knows how we can destroy this urn for good."

     "The Blue Fairy?" I repeated. Aubrey and I turned to each other, reading one another's thoughts. Like in Pinocchio? I thought to myself.

     "Yes, she will help us, so you must call her right away; for there's no time to waste," Grumpy said.

     "So just call her and she'll come?" Aubrey asked.

     "Exactly, Sisters," returned Grumpy. "Her name is Blue."

     After I called her, a bright, blue, glowing form came into sight, which revealed a tiny fairy, and we watched in awe. She hovered over us. "I have come to your calling," she sweetly said. "First, let me change my size." She suddenly enlarged herself to full human size. "That's better." The Blue Fairy was strikingly beautiful. She wore a ravishing, blue dress that was adorned with pink and blue roses; fringes draped down from her dress; her curly, auburn hair was worn up into a bun; and a smile was shown on her beautiful face.

     "Woah, you're so beautiful," I said to her.

     The fairy replied with a smile, "You're such a sweet thing. I do not believe I've seen the two of you before. It looks like Grumpy has made some new friends." Then she turned to the dwarf and said, "Hello, Grumpy, it's good to see you."