Chapter 4 The Brew of Frozen Blood

Narrated by Aubrey

     Later that day, when we were ready to set out for our mission, Regina ordered horses for us. Once we headed out, now feeling nervous, galloping on our horses made us forget about our troubles. All I felt was wild and free as the wind buffeted my hair. By the time we arrived at Rumpelstiltskin's fortress, it was late-afternoon. Once we stopped to tie our horses up to a tree that was distant to the fortress, suddenly, we began to rethink whether stealing from Rumpelstiltskin was such a good idea, and now we were hesitant and really afraid. "Do you think we could ask Rumpelstiltskin for the potion and maybe he could help us create the portal?" Kaylee asked. "But of course he'd probably only give it to us when our deal is over," she ended with a sigh.

     "But at least that would save us all the trouble of looking for a bean," I pointed out. "I'm just upset he lied to us when he said a bean was the only way for us to return home," I added crossly.

     "Probably to keep us from stealing that potion since we are stuck in a deal," Kaylee put in.

     "Who knows how long until the deal is finally over," I grunted. "And finding a magical bean could take a life time."

     "And Regina is offering help, so that's our chance to leave soon," Kaylee returned. "I don't want to miss out on it. Also, Mom and Dad must be worried sick right now. If we are gone any longer, they might think we got kidnapped or something. It's not fair to them, so stealing from Rumpelstiltskin is exactly what we must do since we have no other choice."

     We took up the courage and strength and trudged down the hill to Rumpelstiltskin's fortress. Then we came to a low window where we remembered his potion room was located. My heart started pounding hard in my chest, and I felt a chill run down my spine. I was paranoid that he would suddenly appear behind us, so I cautiously glanced around time to time. When we were ready to proceed with the break in, I took up a heavy rock and tossed it at the glass window. The loud crash worried us, and I knew for sure that Rumpelstiltskin probably heard it. "Hurry!" I exclaimed in a whispering tone, and we climbed through the window with haste.

     We rummaged through all the potion cabinets, feeling very stressed, and because there were so many kinds of potions, it was overwhelming. "Where is it!" Kaylee cried out anxiously.

     "Ah ha!" I exclaimed, taking up a bottle with a label that read, Brew of Frozen blood. "I found it!"

     But in that moment, the bottle disappeared from my grasp as a dreaded voice was heard. "I'll take that, Deary," came Rumpelstiltskin.

     "Quick, the ink!" Kaylee exclaimed to me.

     Immediately, I took out the squid ink and tossed its contents onto Rumpelstiltskin who luckily was just close enough, and instantly, he became immobilized. After I yanked the bottle from his grimy hand, he warned, "Careful Deary, you don't know what that potion is capable of doing. I presume Regina or shall I say, the Evil Queen, put you up to it. You don't know who you are dealing with."

     "She's not evil!" Kaylee retorted. "You are!"

     "She's only helping us," I added coolly, "with this potion that can take us home."

     "Now that's where you are wrong," Rumpelstiltskin responded seriously, "and you shall find that out the hard way. Just remember one thing; all magic comes with a price!"

     Kaylee and I ignored him and quickly jumped out of the window. By the time we arrived at the queen's castle, it was evening. Regina was thrilled with our success. "Well done," she said with a suspicious-looking grin. "I must say, you two certainly surprised me. That took a great deal of courage."

     "When are you going to begin the Transportation Spell?" Kaylee eagerly asked.

     "There has been a change of plans," Regina quickly replied. "I will actually be needing this myself."

     "What!" I exclaimed with indignation. "But you said you would help us!"

     "Did I?" the queen responded with a malicious smile. "Well then, we can call it even now. Afterall, it's only fair that you did a favor for me in return after all my hospitality."

     I couldn't believe how duped we had been, and I never felt so upset in my life. Kaylee and I exchanged horrified glances. "You betrayer!" I angrily yelled out to the queen "You never intended to help us, did you! You only used us! I can't believe we trusted you! We thought you were our friend! Rumpelstiltskin was right, you really are the Evil Queen!"

     Regina gave a menacing laugh of triumph. "Well, I guess you should have listened to him! Now thanks to you, I got exactly what I desired, my revenge."

     "Wait," I said, swallowing hard with panic. "What do you mean by revenge?"

     "You see," Regina began with a chuckle, "this potion cannot really take you home. It's a weapon that contains the toxic blood from the yaogui. The blood is really no miracle product but rather a deadly one, and that, my Dear, is a known fact. It can only be used to poison one."

     "Who are you going to use it on?" I demanded furiously, feeling very panicked.

     The Evil Queen grinned, her face full of malice, and replied, "I plan to use it on my victim, Snow White!"

     Kaylee and I exchanged shocked glances because Snow White really existed too, and we did not want the Evil Queen to harm her. I turned back to the queen with hot rage. "You are the very definition of evil!" I shouted. "Don't harm her!"

     "You seem to know that bandit," came the queen's scornful reply. "Any friend to her is no friend of mine. I was going to show you two mercy, but now I'm not." Suddenly, the door shut from behind us. "You're not going anywhere. I won't have you both wrecking my plan."

     "We aren't friends with her because we don't even know her!" Kaylee cried out with panic. "Please let us go!"

     "And just what fool do you think I am to believe your word like that?" the queen responded with a snarl. "With your pitiful hearts, I am no fool! Guards, take these two away!"