Chapter 11 The Wicked Witch of the West

Narrated by Kaylee

     Of course we follow the yellow brick road, I thought with a chuckle. "Thanks," I said with appreciation. "You have been a great help to us."

     We began our journey at once. We wondered if we would encounter Dorothy, the scarecrow, and the tin woodman along the way, and that thought amused us. After walking for some time, we decided to rest. We picked some apples and ate them under a shady tree. As we munched, Aubrey commented, "I wonder if there are magic beans here."

     "Maybe!" I exclaimed, beaming with hope. "We can always ask Glinda."

     After our break, we continued on our way and camped out for the night. By morning, we journeyed a few more miles over the hills. In the distance, there stood the magnificent Palace of Glamour. We had finally made it to our destination, and we ran, feeling very excited. We confronted a vast poppy field, the yellow brick road crossing through it, and it led to the palace entrance. I couldn't help but wonder if the poppies would put us in some sort of sleeping spell if we were to touch them; after all, they made Dorothy and her friends fall asleep in the book, so I warned Aubrey not to pick any, and she understood my concerns because she was thinking the same thing. Upon reaching the palace, I knocked, and we stood there, waiting with anticipation. The door was opened by two green-suited guards, and immediately, they pointed their spears at us. "What do you want?" one of the guards questioned. "Do you come as a threat to the Wicked Witch?"

     "We are here to see the great wizard," I responded, feeling uneasy. "And we are no threat to the Wicked Witch," I finished, feeling confused as I stared at Aubrey. What does she have to do with the great wizard? I thought to myself.

     "The great wizard no longer exists; the Wicked Witch now rules this palace," replied the guard. "We'll bring you to her, and she shall question you."

     "What!" I cried out. "I don't understand!"

     The two green-suited guards seized us, but we didn't fight their grasp. They led us into a dining hall where a young, attractive woman sat on one end of a long green table with a lavish spread of food, enjoying her dinner in solitude. The inside was green and lavish as if everything was carved straightly from emerald itself. She looked up at our approach, eyeing us curiously.

     "We have brought some newcomers we deem as threats," a guard explained.

     "Let me see what they have to say," she replied. She then dabbed her mouth with her napkin and tossed a chicken bone aside.

     The guards pushed us to the ground and pointed their spears down at us. The woman stood up from the table and approached us. Her skin was pure green; her curly hair was auburn; her eyes were blue, and her lips were dark red. She wore a lavish, black dress and a witch hat, and an emerald necklace adorned her neck. We looked up at her. I felt nervous but reassured myself because we had magic for protection against her if needed. "Guards, leave now," she ordered. The guards drew their spears away from us and left. We stood up and faced her. "So, tell me, Children, what do you want?" she asked sharply in her British-sounding dialect. "Why are you here? I've never seen you in my life. Are you working with my enemy, Dorothy? Did that girl put you up to this?" Her face reddened.

     Of course, there's a Dorothy too, I thought, amused, and Aubrey glanced at me with a grin.

     "No! We don't know her," I returned defensively. "We just came to see what happened to the great wizard; for we came to see him so that he could help us return home," I explained. "That's all."

     Suddenly, the witch burst into scornful laugher. "There's no 'great wizard' anymore. I'm the only one living here. I killed him. He was never as 'powerful' and as 'great' as was deemed of him. I am much more powerful. Now I rule this palace."