XXI. aut insanity homo, aut versus

𝕻𝖊𝖗𝖈𝖞'𝖘 𝕻𝖔𝖎𝖓𝖙 𝕺𝖋 𝖁𝖎𝖊𝖜

"EXCELLENT," THE GENERAL SAID. "Once my warriors catch its scent, they will pursue its owner relentlessly. Nothing can stop them, no weapons known to half-blood or Hunter. They will tear the Hunters and their allies to shreds. Toss it here!"

The Olympians were gaping at the screen.

As he said that, skeletons erupted from the ground. There were twelve of them, one for each tooth the General had planted. They were nothing like Halloween skeletons, or the kind you might see in cheesy movies. These were growing flesh as Percy watched, turning into men, but men with dull gray skin, yellow eyes, and modern clothes—gray muscle shirts, camo pants, and combat boots. If you didn't look too closely, you could almost believe they were human, but their flesh was transparent and their bones shimmered underneath, like X-ray images.

"Oh great." Hades said

One of them looked straight at Percy, regarding him coldly, and he knew that no cap of invisibility would fool it.

The snake lady released the scarf and it fluttered down toward the General's hand. As soon as he gave it to the warriors, they would hunt Zoë and the others until they were extinct.

Percy didn't have time to think. He ran and jumped with all his might, plowing into the warriors and snatching the scarf out of the air.

"What's this?" bellowed the General.

Percy landed at the feet of a skeleton warrior, who hissed.

"An intruder," the General growled. "One cloaked in darkness. Seal the doors!"

"It's Percy Jackson!" Luke yelled. "It has to be."

Percy sprinted for the exit, but heard a ripping sound and realized the skeleton warrior had taken a chunk out of his sleeve. When he glanced back, he was holding the fabric up to his nose, sniffing the scent, handing it around to his friends.

Percy wanted to scream, but he couldn't. He squeezed through the door just as the guards slammed it shut behind me.

And then he ran.

Percy tore across the Mall, not daring to look behind him. He burst into the Air and Space Museum and took off his invisibility cap once he was through the admissions area.

The main part of the museum was one huge room with rockets and airplanes hanging from the ceiling. Three levels of balconies curled around, so you could look at the exhibits from all different heights.

The place wasn't crowded, just a few families and a couple of tour groups of kids, probably doing one of those holiday school trips. Percy wanted to yell at them all to leave, but he figured that would only get me arrested. He had to find his sister, Thalia and Grover and the Hunters.