LX. Oculum pro oculo

PERCY LOVED NEW YORK

PERCY LOVED NEW YORK. You can pop out of the Underworld in Central Park, hail a taxi, head down Fifth Avenue with a giant hellhound loping along behind you, and nobody even looks at you funny.
Of course, the Mist helped. People probably couldn't see Mrs. O'Leary, or maybe they thought she was a large, loud, very friendly truck.

Aurora and Atlas laughed.

Percy took the risk of using his mom's cell phone to call Isabella for the second time. He'd called her once from the tunnel but only reached her voice mail. He'd gotten surprisingly good reception, seeing as he was at the mythological center of the world and all, but he didn't want to see what his mom's roaming charges were going to be.

This time, Annabeth picked up.

"Hey," Percy said. "You get my message?"

"Percy, where have you been? Juniper  said Rhys and Cressida were with you last. Are you alright? Your message said almost nothing! We've been worried sick!"

"I'll fill you in later," Percy said, though-even though she was missing half the conversation- the twins looked at him doubtfully. "And, yeah, the twins are with me. Where are you?"

"We're on our way like you asked, almost to the Queens- Midtown Tunnel. But, Percy, what are you planning? We've left the camp virtually undefended, and there's no way the gods-"

"Trust me, Percy said. "I'll see you there."

"Fine," Isabella's  voice sounded tight and angry. "But have you s-?"

"Aurora?" Mattheo asked.

Annabeth nodded.

But Percy's finger had already been over the hang up button. His hands were shaking so badly he pressed it on accident. He wasn't sure if it was a leftover reaction from his dip in the Styx, or anticipation of what he was about to do. If this didn't work, being invulnerable wasn't going to save him from getting blasted to bits.

It was late afternoon when the taxi dropped him and the Twins at the Empire State Building. Mrs. O'Leary bounded up and down Fifth Avenue, licking cabs and sniffing hot dog carts. Nobody seemed to notice her, although people did swerve away and look confused when she came close.

Cressida, Rhys and him hadn't really talked -or as close to talking as they could get- since the underworld. How could they sum up everything they'd just done? Together, with only three of them, taking a dip in the river. But fortunately they were never close. The twins rarely arrived at camp and if they did they rarely talked.

It was odd but he wanted the twins to watch his back. He wasn't sure why though, James might as well have been his best friend, Isabella was well, his top priority along his sister, Natasha and Cassiopeia they'd spent months together but out of all these people, he wanted to put his faith into them. He wanted to believe they could do anything.