XXII. non currere de praeteritis

𝕬𝖚𝖗𝖔𝖗𝖆'𝖘 𝕻𝖔𝖎𝖓𝖙 𝕺𝖋 𝖁𝖎𝖊𝖜

THEY WERE CROSSING THE POTOMAC when they spotted the helicopter. It was a sleek, black military model just like the one they'd seen at Westover Hall. And it was coming straight toward them.

"They know the van," Aurora said. "We have to ditch it."

Zoë swerved into the fast lane. The helicopter was gaining.

"Maybe the military will shoot it down," Grover said hopefully.

"The military probably thinks it's one of theirs," Aurora said.

"How can the General use mortals, anyway?" Percy asked

"Mercenaries," Zoë said bitterly. "It is distasteful, but many mortals will fight for any cause as long as they are paid."

The Wixen lowered their heads.

"But don't these mortals see who they're working for?" Percy  asked. "Don't they notice all the monsters around them?"

Zoë shook her head. "I do not know how much they see through the Mist. I doubt it would matter to them if they knew the truth. Sometimes mortals can be more horrible than monsters."

"True." Atlas and Aurora confirmed.

Hades wanted to ask why. But then he realised there was some kind of story behind it.

The helicopter kept coming, making a lot better time than we were through D.C. traffic.

Thalia closed her eyes and prayed hard. "Hey, Dad. A lightning bolt would be nice about now. Please?"

The Olympians looked at Zeus hopefully except Hera.

But the sky stayed gray and snowy. No sign of a helpful thunderstorm.

Hestia looked at his brother sternly. Hera nodded her head in approval and satisfaction.

"What?!" Zeus bellowed, as the whole hall look at him in disapproval. "I can't interfere." He said

"You would've interfered if it was Atlas." Hades said

Hera scoffed

"Yeah, his precious Boy." Poseidon said. "You wouldn't think twice about." he added

Zeus glared at his brothers. "The Rules say nothing about Soulmate's child. Chaos made an exception. So that is  why I help My Son." He said

"And that he is your favourite, Little Brother." Hades said

Zeus glared at Hades. But didn't argue

At times like this Aurora desperately wished for her brother, if he prayed Jupiter or Zeus he would definitely answer.