XXXIX. Bella detesta matribus

ALTHOUGH, DISTANCE WAS SHORTER IN THE LABYRINTH

ALTHOUGH, DISTANCE WAS SHORTER IN THE LABYRINTH. by the time Rachel got them back to Times Square, Aurora felt like they'd pretty much run all the way from New Mexico.

She couldn't quite decide which seemed less real — New York or the crystal cave where she'd watched a god die.

Percy led the way into an alley, where he could get a nice echo. Then he whistled as loud as he could.

A minute later, Rachel gasped. "They're beautiful!"

A flock of pegasi descended from the sky, swooping between the skyscrapers. Blackjack was in the lead, followed by six of his friends.

Everybody started saddling up — except Rachel.

"Well," she told Aurora, "I guess this is it."
She nodded uncomfortably. They both knew she couldn't go to camp. Aurora glanced at Percy, who was pretending to be very busy with Blackjack.

"Thanks, Rachel," Aurora said. "We couldn't have done it without you."

"I wouldn't have missed it. I mean, except for almost dying, and Pan..." Her voice faltered.

"Hey, you can't blame yourself for that," Aurora said. " judge people from their own actions, not their families. My grandfather is Kronos; I don't give a damn about what your father does. I just know that you were incredibly brave to lead us through the maze. That's the only thing I'll judge you on."

Hades knew he mustn't be jealous especially what he had done but, he still felt the sense of jealousy that he at that moment couldn't be in Aurora's presence.

Rachel looked at her gratefully. "Well...if you ever feel like hanging out with a mortal again...you could call me or something."

''I will."

She knit her eyebrows. Aurora must have sounded unenthusiastic or something, but that's not how she meant it. Aurora just wasn't sure what to say with all her friends standing around. And, yeah, her feelings had gotten pretty mixed up ever since Texas.

"I'd like that," she corrected.

"My number's not in the book," she said.

"I've got it."

"Still on your hand? No way."

"No. I, um, I...memorized it."

Her smile came back slowly, but a lot happier.

"Annabeth mentioned you live in California. My parents have a place there. I mean, I hate it but—"

"I'll call." Aurora's stomach fluttered for no reason. "Maybe I'll bring an extra sword for you."

Aphrodite smiled. "Although they aren't as cute as Aurora and Hades they are somewhat cute."

Rachel grinned. "See you later, Aurora. Go save the world for me, okay?"