LXIII. Nulla salus bello

AURORA SAW THE UNDERSEA palace of her father

AURORA SAW THE UNDERSEA palace of her father. The enemy army was closer now, entrenched only a few hundred yards outside the palace. The fortress walls were completely destroyed. The temple her dad had used as his headquarters was burning with Greek fire.

"I will admit I went too far." Oceanus said to Poseidon who scowled.

Aurora zoomed in on the armory, where her brother and some other Cyclopes were on lunch break, eating from huge jars of Skippy extra chunky peanut butter (and don't ask how it tasted underwater, because Aurora didn't want to know). As she watched, the outer wall of the armory exploded. A Cyclops warrior stumbled inside, collapsing on the lunch table.

Tyson knelt down to help, but it was too late. The Cyclops dissolved into sea silt.
Enemy giants moved toward the breach, and Tyson picked up the fallen warrior's club. He yelled something to his fellow blacksmiths- probably "For Poseidon!"-but with his mouth was full of peanut butter it sounded like, "PUH PTEH BUN!" His brethren all grabbed hammers and chisels, yelled, "PEANUT BUTTER!" and charged behind Tyson into battle.

Percy, Daemon, Blaise, Set, Lucifer, Hermes, Apollo and Khonsu and The Sea Crew laughed.

Then the scene shifted. Aurora was with Ethan Nakamura and Alabaster Torrington at the enemy camp. What she saw made him shiver, partly because the army was so huge, partly because she recognized the place.

They were in the backwoods of New Jersey, on a crumbling road lined with run-down businesses and tattered billboard signs. A trampled fence ringed a big yard full of cement statuary. The sign above the warehouse read in red cursive: AUNTY EM'S GARDEN GNOME EMPORIUM.

She hadn't thought about the place in years unlike her brother who woke up screaming and gasping each week, thinking about the three gorgon sisters that attacked them on their first quest.

"Three Gorgons attacked you?" Poseidon asked his daughter carefully.

Aurora nodded. "Me and Atlas."

Poseidon and Zeus exchanged worried looks.

"And you thought  your luck was rotten." Aurora said to Percy.

Percy shook his head. "Your luck makes me think I am the luckiest."

But now It was clearly abandoned. The statues were broken and spray-painted with graffiti. A cement satyr- had lost his arm. Part of the warehouse roof had caved in. A big yellow sign pasted on the door read: CONDEMNED.

Hundreds of tents and fires surrounded the property.

Mostly Aurora saw monsters, but there were some human mercenaries in combat fatigues and demigods in armor, too. A purple-and-black banner hung outside the emporium, guarded by two huge blue Hyperboreans.

Ethan and Alabaster were crouched at the nearest campfire. A couple of other demigods sat with them, sharpening their swords. The doors of the warehouse opened, and Prometheus and Cassius stepped out.