Chapter 11 [Book 1]

At the mention of Anne, I turned back to the small house and couldn't help but feel sad. She was a witch who was happy, attending Hogwarts and spending time with her friends. But that all changed with a curse, and now, she was cooped up in her home, suffering from the curse.

"Hey", I told Sebastian, "I'll be right back."

I made my way into the house to see Anne's perspective of the whole ordeal.

She noticed my presence as I walked in, "I'm sorry about earlier. Those bouts of pain are difficult to bear."

"Are you all right, Anne?" I asked, taking a seat next to her, "I didn't mean to intrude."

"You didn't. Truly", she spoke with a wince, "And I'm all right. The pain from this curse comes in bouts - and often suddenly. It's not anyone's fault."

"It's nice to meet you, by the way. You must be the new fifth-year Sebastian told me about."

I cocked a brow, "all good things I hope?"

Anne let a girlish giggle, "very much so", speaking in a tone with many hints.

We spoke back and forth about Hogwarts, allowing Anne to reminisce about her favourite moments in Hogwarts, especially teasing first-years about spotting mermaids through the common room windows.

The conversation then turned serious at the mention of Solomon.

"They both mean well. I know they do. But my uncle is right. This curse cannot be undone. I can feel it."

My eyebrows furrowed, this is the wizarding world, there surely has to be one.

"Sebastian cannot take away my pain. Perhaps you can help him to understand that."

"I'm afraid it's really up to Sebastian, and his mind seems to be made up."

"I can only hope the realises the futility of his search for a cure soon. I'm getting tired, I should probably rest. Thank you for stopping by and being by Sebastian's side. I hope to see you again soon."

I nodded my head in reply, "I'll continue to be by his side. And now yours", the two of us sharing a smile before I left to check on Sebastian.

"Hey, doing any better?"

"I really do apologise for my uncle", is all he could say. But I knew there was so much more to it, much more than just Anne's curse, something was really affecting him.

"I'll admit I wasn't expecting him to be so angry."

"He's always angry, ever since my parents died", I could only listen and watch as anger began to bubble and spew out of him, "after Anne was hurt, he only grew worse. It's as though he blames me somehow. Always calling me 'my father's son.' As if that's an insult."

He sighed, "I'm the one trying to help her. He's simply given up."

"Both Anne and your uncle seem genuinely convinced that nothing more can be done for her."

"I refuse to believe that! I miss my sister. And I'm going to get her back."

Looking into his eyes, the determination they possessed for some reason scared me. I didn't like the look in his eyes, it gave you the fear of the future and the unknown of knowing how far Sebastian will really go.

A future I didn't know will impact everyone.

His soothing voice interrupted my thoughts, "come with me. I need to show you where it happened."

The two of us ran off to an area just off Feldcroft, until we arrived at a place of rubble. 

Sebastian then went on to recount the night Anne got cursed, from her running towards the fire, to the appearance of Ranrok's loyalists, followed by the icy voice that cursed Anne.