Chapter 23 [Book 1]

Returning from completing Niamh Fitzgerald's trials, I clutched my head from the bizarre experience. My mind wandered back to all the weird objects I encountered, a cloak to turn me invisible, a wand and a weird stone. 

But that wand, there was something about it that enticed me, the power I felt surging through my body was like no other.

Shaking off my thoughts, I returned to the map chamber to see the fourth and final keeper awaiting my arrival.

"Is it true? Has someone completed the first three trials?" The man spoke.

"It is, and I have."

His shocked demeanour didn't surprise me, "but you are so - "

I interrupted, "young? I know. You must be Professor Bakar."

I went on to question my most recent Pensieve memory.

"Was Isidora inhaling painful emotions?"

Professor Bakar nodded, "she was."

What I saw in that memory intrigued me. When I first saw her pull the painful emotions from her father, it at first alarmed me, but oddly enough, there was something fascinating about what magic she possessed. The same magic I possess.

"I was amazed to see that it seemed to give her some sort of power - and that she could harness it. But how?"

I watched as Professor Bakar's face contorted into one of confusion.

"I worry that you seem more intrigued than repulsed."

He repositioned himself, regaining his previous composure with slight seriousness, "I hesitate to reveal the location of my Pensieve to someone, who, perhaps, has yet to understand the responsibility of power."

I shook my head and reassured the final keeper that I understand what responsibility I hold and went on to explain the more pressing matter in regards to Ranrok, especially now that he has accessed the repository at Rookwood Castle.

After conversing with Fig and the Keepers for a little longer, they dismissed me, needing to confer amongst each other in regards to how to proceed with Ranrok getting ever closer.

I left the map chamber and found a letter from Sebastian awaiting me.

Since our last fight, I hadn't interacted with him on an intimate level, so seeing how he was so eager to meet me. I waws hesitant, worried that feelings from our fight will boil over into this meeting.

Nonetheless, I set out to talk to him.

And Anne.

Arriving at Feldcroft, I found Sebastian conversing with Anne, although, it seemed quite passive-aggressive.

"Sebastian - a lost relic from a catacomb that requires a Dark sacrifice?"

A dark sacrifice? I tried to riffle through my memories, seeing if I could remember a mention of a dark sacrifice, but I couldn't. Was there something Sebastian found that he didn't tell me about?

"I know how it sounds, but if this can help you, it's worth the risk."

I examined Anne's expression and it was obvious she didn't want to go forward with this, especially with the risk of having to sacrifice something or someone.

"Does Ominis know about this?" She pressed.

Sebastian replied, "he helped find the scriptorium where we discovered Slytherin's spellbook."

While Anne still looked unsure, the mention of Ominis' involvement in the ordeal seemingly convinced her. But with a condition.

"Very well. If Ominis will be there, I'll meet you. We don't have much time, Solomon wants to leave Feldcroft."

I wasn't unsurprised when I heard that Solomon wanted to leave, considering all that has happened so far, I couldn't exactly blame him. But, it was nerving to hear that Anne needed Ominis to be there, and with the recent occurrence, I was wondering how all of this will proceed.

While I was unsurprised, Sebastian was entirely shocked.

"What? Leave-? Never mind. You need to stall him. Buy us time, Anne. Please."

I could see Anne felt sorry for her twin, "I shall do my best. I'll be in touch."

And with that she left, allowing me to finally speak with Sebastian.

"Sebastian - ", I started before being abruptly interrupted.

"Don't think I've forgotten about your goblin friend. I haven't", I was taken aback at his sudden tone, which was quickly masked with calmness.

"But I appreciate you setting our earlier discussion aside for now."

'But have you?' you thought.

"I can't believe my uncle wants to leave Feldcroft. Anne's going to stall him. She must. We need time."

He sounded so desperate, so eager.

"Time? For what?"

"I've learned more about the relic, crossed referenced the spellbook with everything the library had on relics. And Dark sacrifices. Then I realised something, I believe the relic will only work in the catacomb."

I inhaled sharply. This turned out to be more complicated than I thought.

"We have to get Anne to the catacomb and then conduct a sacrifice? Seems - risky."

"It'll be worth the risk."

I just stared at him, less confident than I was at the start of this whole ordeal.

After going through a plan, especially in regard to getting Ominis back on board, Sebastian said he will contact you again by owl.

Then we parted ways, once again.