Chapter 22 [Book 1]

Beautiful flakes of snow fell in front of my face as I watched students pass by.

Deep in my thoughts, the hoot of an owl interrupted and perched itself next to me, letter in the hold. I took the letter from it and gave it some treats as it flew off.

Meet me by the Overlook just northeast of Upper Hogsfield.

The letter was short and unsigned, but I didn't need a signature to know who sent it. Unbothered to walk, I opened the window of my dorm before jumping out, landing on my broom just before hitting the ground and heading off.

Arriving at the location I saw Sebastian pacing, clearly getting impatient.

"I thought my owl might pique your interest."

I nodded, "I came as soon as I could."

From the way he spoke, I knew he was quite eager about the journey ahead.

"I'd been so preoccupied - that I'd almost forgotten what it was that had struck me about that triptych."

He gestured to the surroundings, "this is the view painted on the canvas that was left on it."

I smiled, impressed at his knowledge of the area, "that's incredible."

He grinned, "and while I was waiting for you, I scouted around and discovered an abandoned mine nearby - surrounded by Ranrok's Loyalists."

"Do you think there is any connection to the triptych", I enquired.

"I've no idea. But perhaps they're searching for it - how do we want to handle this?"

I took a moment to think, while I could just go head-on and use all my magical knowledge, I thought it would probably be best to take the safer and more discreet approach.

"We need to see what they're doing, but let's not draw their attention."

Casting the disillusionment spell, the two of us headed off to cross the two camps that were present. While we were able to sneak through the first one, we had less luck with the second one and ended up having to fight the bloody goblins.

Which wasn't hard at all.

"And the fun is over", Sebastian remarked.

I turned my head towards him, "fun is a relative term."

He just laughed, "ha! It is. And that was - relatively fun."

I could only just join in the laughter, shaking my head as I investigated the area before heading to the mines.

Immediately, the mine proved to be a challenge with goblins and spiders alike, but that didn't stop Sebastian and I from having fun.

"We've rid the world of another spider. I shall sleep better tonight."

"Don't know why Gryffindors get credit for bravery. We Slytherins are teeming with it."

"And we're much more fun to fight with."

Once I had unlocked the door, I finally entered what was being hidden. But, the question still begged of why.

Then, opening a chest possibly answered all my questions.

"Sebastian, look what I found, a canvas piece", I spoke, showing it to him.

"If the triptych led us here to find this bit of canvas, we can probably assume that Isidora Morganach was here."

"She seems to have been everywhere."

"But if she was using the Undercroft - and the cellar beneath her manor in Feldcroft - why would she create this space?"

Sebastian nodded in agreement, adding to my curious list of questions.

"And why hide it behind cryptic rune symbols - and ancient magic that no one but you could see?"

I then mentioned how it was also Professor Rackham who could also see ancient magic, but still, why go through all the trouble when I only know of two other people besides me who possess ancient magic?

Deciding it would be best to head back to Hogwarts, I found another path that once again led to the Undercroft.

Before leaving, Sebastian commented, "this place is odd, to be sure, but I'm fascinated by it."

My heart tightened with concern, from what is happening so far and from the memories I have seen, something felt off about Isidora and having Sebastian be fascinated by her doings, just added more to my concern.

Back in the Undercroft, I fixed the canvas piece into place and asked Sebastian if he recognised it.

"The good news is, I do, in fact."

But unfortunately, he explained how the state of Marunweem has suffered much worse than Feldcroft from Ranrok and his loyalists.

That's when I decided to bring up Lodgok, but no I wish I hadn't.

"A friendly goblin?"

The way Sebastian's demeanour changed so easily, frightened me.

"You know goblins cursed my sister to shut her up. Said she should be 'seen and not heard.'

I hesitated, making sure to choose my next words wisely, "I do. But, not all goblins - "

Then, Sebastian exploded, snapping at me with such ease.

"Not all goblins what? Have you forgotten Feldcroft? Have you forgotten the mine we just went through?"

Feeling tears form in the corner of my eyes, I fought back, "no, Sebastian! I haven't. You're not listening to me!"

He simply rolled his eyes at me before sneering.

"Why would I listen to someone so ignorant?"

That was the final blow for me. I felt numb and anything I felt for the Slytherin boy previously just disapparated with those eight words.

I shook my head, disappointed at his behaviour, especially considering how close the two of us had become.

"Perhaps your uncle was right about you. You don't know when to stop."

This just seemingly pushed him as he began to step closer to me, his face contorting in anger as he backed me up against a wall, hand beside my head.

For the first time in my life, I felt small.

It was like he was ready to push me off a cliff.

"Oh, I do know when to stop."

Reaching my breaking point, I shoved him off of me, before glaring at him with glossy eyes.

"How have you changed so much?"

Getting in that final jab, I turned on my heel and marched off back to the Common Room.

Eager to get away from Sebastian.

--------

Uh oh, Sebastian and you are fighting...

Well hopefully you guys will make up, I mean how much worse can it get, it's not like someone is going to die.

But, in all honesty, I was so sad at this part.