Chapter 15 [Book 1]

After completing Rookwood's Trails, I realised that with each trial I passed, the enemies are getting harder to defeat. Thus, through my own realisation and the advice of the Keepers and Fig, I decided to go to the Undercroft to continue practising and hone my magic.

Unsurprisingly, I found Sebastian there, but what slightly concerned me was the delight on his face as he read through Salazar Slytherin's spell book. While I am not entirely against the use of dark magic, there was something about his expression that just worried me.

Nearing him, he noticed my presence, staring up at me with a smile, "you'll never believe what I've learned."

"What did you discover in the spellbook we found in the scriptorium?"

He held up the book momentarily, "it was a little bit to interpret, but fascinating", before putting it back down on the conjured table.

"Evidently, he encouraged teaching Dark Magic at Hogwarts. Neither the Imperius Curse nor the Killing Curse was unforgivable during his time. He believed students should be prepared to use Dark Magic when necessary - not to fear it."

A realisation came to me, this explained why Crucio was necessary to enter his scriptorium since he didn't want his spellbook and all this information to be shared with someone who feared the use of Dark Magic. 

He needed someone to obtain this information with the intent to learn and hone it and use it when needed.

Coincidentally, Sebastian continued to explain my exact realisation.

"I honestly don't regret using the Cruciatas Curse, it was necessary", I replied.

"And I'm glad we did it, but that's not all that I found", he beckoned me over to get a better look at the book as he explained his findings.

"References to a lost relic which, from what I can tell, grants the holder the power to reverse Dark Magic curses."

I just stared at him, "and you think this 'relic' will be able to save Anne."

He nodded, "precisely."

He continued, "I plan to search for the relic, but I don't think we should tell anyone. Especially Ominis. He wouldn't understand."

As much as I didn't want to tell Ominis, I began to think that Sebastian's need to search for a long-lost relic was going to lead him to a path that he can never come back from.

"I think we should tell Ominis."

He didn't say a word, just shook his head, "when I learn more, I will send an owl."

He began to walk away but not before turning around, "and don't feel sorry for Ominis. Keeping this to ourselves, for now, is his own good."

"I'll decide what is for my own good!"

Our heads whipped around to see Ominis turn the corner from where he was hiding.

"Ominis" I exclaimed.

On the other hand, Sebastian was composed.

"Ominis - We were just about to get some air. Care to join?"

I could tell Ominis was getting more and more frustrated with Sebastian as he stormed towards us.

"You're a liar, Sebastian. I heard everything. You swore you'd never engage in anything to do with Dark Magic ever again."

Sebastian just bickered back, raising his voice slightly, practically frustrating Ominis more, "no I didn't. I said I understood you wanting that. I'd never swear to give up finding a cure for Anne."