Chapter 16 [Book 2]

It had been a few days since I had last seen Anne, and it now saw the start of Christmas, only a few weeks away to the day. Here I was, currently sitting in the Great Hall next to Ashok, looking around at all the other prefects. Garreth and Amit are the only ones I recognised.

Professor Weasley and the Head Boy and Girl then came up towards us, "alright, everyone. As you know, Christmas is coming up."

Everyone let out a cheer because it also meant going home for the holidays.

Professor Weasley let out a laugh as she gestured for the Head Boy to speak.

"Alright, so as you know, last year due to some circumstances", he looked towards me, insinuating the goblin situation, "we weren't able to have our annual ball. But, we're happy to announce that it will be back again."

Even more, cheers erupted.

The Head Girl spoke next, "which means a lot of organisation. In this meeting, we will discuss themes and assign tasks to each house."

Everyone nodded as we all turned serious and began to exchange ideas and discuss who will be in charge of what. 

It was eventually decided that the theme of our ball will be an enchanted forest, and everyone agreed that will be a nice idea, Garreth's comment made the room burst out in laughter.

"Please, make it the complete opposite of that bloody land we call the Forbidden Forest."

It was decided that Ashok and I will be in charge of drinks and food. He and I agreed to meet and compile a menu to give to the elves to create the night of the ball.

Professor Weasley dismissed us and we all left, Ashok, Garreth and I walked into potions a bit late but Professor Sharp dismissed us with a wave and we joined a table with Poppy and Natty and began to brew Amortentia. 

At the end of the class, Professor Sharp walked around, praising the Amortentia brewed. As I was writing down notes, my pot of ink suddenly tipped over and fell to the ground, I let out a gasp and quickly bent down to clean the mess up.

"You alright?" Ashok asked.

Once the mess was cleaned up, I turned to him, "yeah it's all good. Weird how it just suddenly tipped over."

"Yeah", was all he said.

Professor Sharp had dismissed us for the day and Ashok and I began to head to Hogsmeade to discuss the Christmas Ball.

"Y/N!"

I quickly turned around to see Sebastian running towards us, he then stopped, noticing the Slytherin boy next to me.

"Where are you two going?" he narrowed his eyes, "together."

Ashok replied as he put an arm around my shoulder, "oh we're just going out to Hogsmeade."

"Is that so?" 

I could tell Sebastian was getting irritated by Ashok's behaviour, and not wanting another repeat of that night weeks ago, I quickly interjected. 

"We're just going to discuss prefect duties."

But I could tell that Sebastian was completely convinced, but looking at him with pleading eyes, he sighed and immediately dropped the subject and spoke bitterly, "fine. Have fun."

He turned back and walked off, forgetting that he had called towards me for a reason, I was about to call after him but he had left much too fast and was already out of earshot. Ashok tugged me a bit. 

"Let's go", I didn't say anything, just nodded slightly and we left.

Taking me to the Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade, we took a table in a corner at the back as Sirona floated two butterbeer towards us and we began planning.

"Well obviously we're going to need some alcohol at this party", Ashok laughed.

I cocked a brow at him and he put his hands up in surrender, "alright, alright. No alcohol. But punch does sound quite nice."

I glared at him, "alcohol-free of course."

We spent a few more hours and in the end had eventually been able to create a scrumptious menu for the ball and a delicious recipe of punch for students to enjoy.

"Hey, want another mug of butterbeer?" I nodded my head and Ashok left to get us two more mugs.

When he got up, I noticed a piece of paper fall from his pocket, I stared at it curiously and once I knew he was completely out of sight and as the little Nosy Nancy as I was, I beelined for the note and unravelled its contents. 

But what I saw made me drop the note entirely. I folded it back up and placed it on the table next to me, ignoring the tears welling up in my eyes.

"Hey, Sirona is so generous she's giving us these mugs on the-"

Noticing me getting close to sobbing, he set the mugs down and crouched by my side and began to wipe my tears away. I then saw him eye the note on the table and at that moment, he didn't need to ask what was wrong as he pulled me in for a hug.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean for you to see that."

I pulled away and rubbed my eyes with my robe as I sniffled, "it's alright, I know you didn't mean to."

I let out a shaky laugh as I stared at the note that Ashok snatched and ripped up, ensuring I never saw what was written on it again.

"There. All gone."

"I guess."

He pulled me up and led me out of the pub, quickly thanking Sirona and apologising for us hastily leaving as he brought me back to the Common Room. He sat us down as the Common Room was full of students, none of them noticing my tear-stained face. 

"Y/N. I really am sorry that you had to see that note."

"It's okay. What's done is done."

I couldn't believe he had written those words or even thought that about me. I know the incident was long over, but the fact that he had thoughts about that night. Thoughts about me just told me a lot. Did he completely forget all the times we had together? I mean, he was intimate with me not even a week ago.

I brought my knees to my chest as suddenly, the Common Room erupted in commotion, cheers filling the room as I turned, "what's going on?"

"I have no idea."

I stood up to see what they were all gathered around and that's when I noticed a familiar brunette, her signature fringe and bun facing me. 

"Oh my Merlin", I gasped, Ashok coming up behind me and who had a much clear view of her as opposed to me.

"What who- Anne?"

I ignored him and shoved my way through the crowd as I jumped on Anne, bringing her into a big hug with Imelda and Violet following through. Ominis off to the side, leaning against the window facing the Great Lake to avoid the commotion, a very happy smile on his face.

"You're back! Earlier no less", I exclaimed. 

The next half hour was just filled with everyone, mainly the fifth years, greeting Anne, asking how she is, how she got healed and just the latter. It was quite obvious Anne was overwhelmed, but she was very happy that everyone was happy to see her.

Once the commotion died down. Imelda, Violet, Ominis, Ashok and I brought Anne to the window seats as we began to discuss what her classes would look like and what we will do on the weekend. 

Even though I knew Anne was coming back, it was still such a surprise to see her. But I look towards the entrance to the dormitories. 

Surely Sebastian was in his room, I mean it was past dinner already and surely he had heard what was happening downstairs. Why isn't he here?

But speaking of the dementor. 

"Anne?"

A voice whispered from a far as Anne took her attention away from us to focus on her twin standing a little bit away from us.

"Hi, Sebastian."