Chapter 17 [Book 1]

The familiar mop of blonde hair caught my eye, as he was pacing back and forth at the entrance.

Sebastian called out, "Ominis! The sounds we kept hearing. It was you."

I was scared at how calm Ominis was as he addressed us, "you gave me no choice. I had to follow you."

Continuing to pace back and forth, he addressed a certain Slytherin, "Sebastian, please. Leave the relic alone. We can find another way to help Anne."

And this was the moment you knew everything was going to break loose.

I could see Sebastian's grip tighten on the relic, his tone firm Ominis, "I'm sorry Ominis. But I'm taking it."

Ominis was equal in his tone, "no, you're not. If you won't put it back, then I will."

I knew I had to defuse the situation, especially for the friendship's sake.

"Hold on, both of you. Sebastian, please, take a step back", looking over to see the brown-haired Slytherin getting closer and closer to Ominis.

He looked over at me and hesitated, but once he saw my pleading face, he relented, "fine, but Ominis knows - I won't step back from a fight."

After Sebastian had walked away, it was my turn to try and talk to Ominis.

"So, how much did you hear?"

"Everything. I heard you even encourage Sebastian to take the relic", I hung my head in shame when I heard the disappointment in his voice.

But I had to defend Sebastian.

"Sebastian's done his research. He knows what he's doing."

Ominis just shook his head.

"Sebastian makes things sound easy when they could be impossible - or dangerous. We need to stop him."

I crossed my arms, "and if nothing changes his mind?"

I watched as Ominis paused for a second before continuing to pace, wondering what thought caused him to stop, knowing it had something to do with what I said.

"Something has to. I need your help."

My feelings to protect Sebastian got the better of me and thus, I surrendered to Ominis.

"Very well. Let's talk with Sebastian."

"Good. We agreed. We don't allow him to leave here with the relic."

And though I did agree that this seemed far riskier than Sebastian realises, I knew that no matter what is said by me or Ominis, Sebastian will not let the relic go.

"I do think we should talk to him, but I fear we won't stop him from taking the relic."

Ominis sighed with exasperation, "what are you suggesting?"

"I am suggesting we negotiate. We allow Sebastian to leave with the relic under one condition: after this, no more."

I knew there was a chance Ominis will refuse, but I was left with very little to work with and from his response I was right.

"I feel that's what we agreed to in the scriptorium. I'm being taken for fool."

I continued to reason with him. But, the thought of using the Imperius Curse as Sebastian told me will give me complete control of whom I cast it on, was lingering in the back of my mind.

I wanted to use it. For Sebastian's sake.

"You're not, Ominis. This may be the only to keep your friendship intact. Let's trust him to know what's best."

But thankfully, Ominis was persuaded.

"Find. If I trust him on this, I'm trusting you, too. The Dark Arts seem harmless until it's too late."

He waved his hand, "go, then. Leave with the relic. I'll not say a word more."

Leaving the catacomb, I called out to Sebastian to leave.

He called to me, "what is it? I haven't changed my mind."

I explained, "Ominis has. Let's go."

Since I was running in front, I couldn't see Sebastian's face contort in shock, confusion and jealousy altogether.

"What? Ominis?"

"I'll explain on the way. Come on."

"So, Ominis simply needs a moment with you and he'll change his mind. Is that it?"

He spoke through gritted teeth and bitterness, which I simply chose to ignore.

"I told him we ought to give you this chance - that the relic is too important to ignore."

He seemed unconvinced, "there has to be more to it than that. Tell me."

I decided to shut down the conversation, "we agreed on what was needed, Sebastian. You have my word."

The two of us ran in silence until Sebastian spoke again.

"I never wanted to keep this from Ominis. He just - doesn't understand. A-and I didn't want to worry him all over again."

My heart dropped at his confession. It was hard to tell Sebastian all his wrongdoings because, through his eyes, he was doing it to protect those he loves. But I couldn't risk him going down the wrong path, one that could cause him to lose his sister and his best friend.

"When we were leaving the catacomb, Ominis wouldn't even acknowledge me. That's not like him.

I turned towards him, grasping his hands into mine.

"He was troubled, Sebastian", his sad eyes stared into mine, "even though we agreed to it all, it's been a lot to take in."

He immediately let go of my hands, shaking his head.

"I thought he understood. He knew we couldn't give up. All of this is too important. For Anne."

Just as I was about to reply, Sebastian had already run off towards Feldcroft.

But just as we were nearing Feldcroft, a fearful scene sat before our eyes.

Feldcroft is up in smoke.

"This isn't good."

--------

This chapter is definitely shorter than the rest I think so far.

But you know, always got to end on a cliffhanger in places (even though all of us know what's going to happen, but let's hush for those who don't know).

And Ominis and Sebastian's friendship😭😭😭