Chapter 15 [Book 2]

Here I was in the Courtyard playing a quick game of Gobstones with Y/N.

"Ha! I won again!"

She groaned, "I don't understand how you're so good."

I let out a laugh, "been playing it since I was a baby", she groaned again, this is probably been the 20th she has lost and hasn't won a single game yet.

I reached over and have her three pats against her cheek, "don't worry honey, you'll get a win eventually."

Then a smirk rose to my face, "play Sebastian, I'm sure if you unbutton a few at the top, you'll win for sure", letting a devious laugh.

She glared at me and threw one of the gobstones at my face which bounced off my forehead, "hey!"

Rubbing my forehead to relieve the pain, I noticed a familiar mop of red hair just over Y/N's shoulder. She had noticed me staring at something so turned around to see Gareth rocking on the ball of his heels back and forth before turning around and let a knowing ah.

I looked her a glint in her eye.

"Y/N...."

A mischievous grin sat on her face as she shifted her position in an attempt to stand.

"No Y/N. Stay. Y/N, stay."

I begged her but she refused to listen to me and got up before running towards Garreth, I immediately followed and chased her.

"Y/N!"

Just as I was about to catch her, she suddenly stopped causing me to crash into her, the two of us tumbling down to the floor, the courtyard's sand and dirt emitting into the air before covering us.

Then a pair of laughs were released, one deep the other light. Wait. Two laughs? A light one?

Blinking a few to get the dirt out of my eyes, my vision then focused itself on Garreth, and Natty. Oh right, Natty.

"Fuck, Poppy can you get off me."

Oh right, I rolled of onto my back, my arm covering my eyes to avoid the tears from falling down.

"Hey Gar, Natty", I heard Y/N greet them in no particular tone.

The light that was leaking through my fingers on my right eye was then covered and I slowly removed my arm to see Garreth looking down on me with a gentle smile as he held his hand out.

I couldn't say no to a face like his.

So I shifted myself in a position that allowed me to take his hand as he pulled me up. I slightly stumbled coming up and after looking up, realised how close I was to kissing him, our faces only centimetres away.

Letting out a few coughs, he let go of my hand as he fell back into step next to Natsai. Right.

I could the tears prickling my eyes. I looked over at Y/N, hoping she would come up with an excuse.

"Um, Poppy. We've got, um, Prefect! Yeah, prefect duties", she grabbed my arm, "let's go."

I followed in suite as I stared down to the floor, the tears already starting to stream down my face as I let out a small sniffle with my best friend looking over her shoulder, a sympathetic expression worn.

Garreth then called out, "does that include me?"

"Nope", Y/N shouted back as she dragged me to the girl's lavatory.

She sat down in the corner as I turned the tap on, the water streaming as I cupped my hands letting the water fill it up as I splashed it on my face, its coolness making my face appear less puffy then it should've been. I then took a seat next to Y/N.

"I'm assuming that's why you've been crying that night."

"Mhm."

"Just thought it was Garreth being Garreth."

"Well, he's still Garreth."

She then pulled so my head was in her lap as she stroked my hair in a very motherly way, well I guess it was, my mother never really gave me treatments like that.

"So what are you going to do now?"

I sighed, "what else can I do? Those two are clearly dating. I don't want to mess it for them."

"But what if they're not?" She stopped stroking my hair as I sat looking at her with a shocked face.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, from what I've seen, it's sort of Ominis and I have."

I stared at her confused, tilting my head.

"I mean, have you ever seen them interact intimately or is it just close?"

I opened my mouth to answer and then stopped. I guess that's true, I've never really seen them kiss or hold hands or anything that could be associated to a couple displaying public displays of affection.

"I suppose not."

"Then that's your chance, Poppy."

"Right. You're right."

She was right, I had a chance to have the boy I liked until I see some hard proof evidence and there shouldn't be anything holding me back.

"Alright, tonight, after dinner, I'm going to do it. I'm going to ask Garreth Weasley out on a date."

I yelled, pumping my fists into the air to which Y/N laughed.

"That's the spirit", we both shared a laugh before completing our final classes and heading to dinner.

Today I had decided to eat dinner at the Slytherin table, plus it was much further from the Gryffindor's table, meaning Garreth didn't have to see me glancing towards his way.

As I was about to dig into my chicken whilst having a clear view of Garreth, a very grumpy Imelda and a much annoyed y/N with her as she stomped her way and took the empty spot in front of me as she grumbled on about still not having a quidditch season. I inwardly groaned in disappointment.

"But Headmaster Black did say it will start up again in seventh year, just practice until then", Y/N reassured.

She had seemed to notice a small look of disappointment on my face as she turned her head to glance a Garreth quickly before letting out a small giggle and turning back to face me.

"So, is tonight the night?" She asked.

"What's tonight", Imelda mumbled, pieces of chicken spitting from her mouth as Y/N backed away slightly.

"Ok first of all, mouth chews, swallows then speaks and second of all, not really your business is it?"

Imelda just rolled her eyes before mumbling about Y/N being a bitch to which she just shrugged at the weak insult.

Dinner had gone by much faster then I thought, I suppose it was all the jitters of wanting to ask Garreth out.

Once I had finished my plate, I had noticed Garreth had left the table, though I didn't notice that a lovely ebony witch had also left the table.

Excusing myself, I quickly left the Great Hall in search for the Weasley. After roaming the hallways for a little bit, I then stopped at the sound of muffled voices.

"So when are you going to tell her?"

"About?"

"Garreth, you know what about."

"Ugh, Natty can you please drop it. Poppy isn't every going to know, not now, not ever."

I didn't want to hear anymore, I couldn't hear anymore. I slowly began to back away, but I didn't notice a cat walk past me as I stumbled on it. It let out a screech, scratched me and I ended up falling to the floor.

"Who's there?" I could hear Garreth shout.

Ignoring the fact that I was bleeding quite a bit, just how sharp were those claws, I immediately got up to my feet and ran all the way back to the Hufflepuff common room.

Not realising I had left a small trail of blood behind.

And most certainly, not realising that a red headed boy had seen me run away.