A Number Five, Please

You weren't a huge fan of working in your uncle's deli place. There were some sketchy people in Queens, and it felt like all of them liked to come into the store. Of course, your uncle would never let anything happen to you, but they still creeped you out.

One afternoon, just after you got out of school, you were helping make the sandwiches when the bell rings. Out of habit, you turned to see who had just come in. Maybe you could get started on their order.

When you saw the face, however, you froze for a second. Possible the full second, too. The person- boy- who walked in was new. He looked to be about your age, too. After your full second of staring, you quickly looked away and resumed your cool.

"Hey! (Y/n)!" you looked at your uncle. "I need a number five!"

"You got it," you said, looking back in front of you and starting to assemble the sandwich. It was one of the few on the menu you hadn't tried.

"Oh, um, do you mind squishing it down? Like, super flat?" You turned your head and looked back over at the new boy. He had the most puppy-dog look on his face.

With a nod, you said, "Yeah, sure." Then got back to assembling the sandwich. When you were done, you had it wrapped up in some paper and handed it to him. "Enjoy, and come back if you like it."

He smiled and nodded. "Yeah, yeah, uh- thanks." Maybe you'd have to try that sandwich. Just because some cute boy ordered it? You willed away your thoughts and went back to your job.

It was a couple days later when the bell rang and you saw the same boy come in again. He ordered the exact same thing, same instruction of squishing it and everything. "Glad you liked it enough to come back," you said while handing the sandwich off. "Have a great day."

The same goofy smile adorned his face and you almost mirrored it but kept it inside.

A week later, you were on the register while your uncle was off doing something else. A different guy was on the sandwich counter. The familiar boy came in and you felt the corners of your mouth turn up.

"Hey, what can I get you?" you asked. Maybe you already knew what he wanted, but you didn't want to be creepy.

"A number five, please?" he asked. "Squished?"

You nodded. "Coming right up. Seems like you really like this sandwich," you said, after the order was getting started.

The boy lit up. "Oh yeah, it's amazing! You guys are awesome," he said. "But you probably knew that, being here and stuff."

You shrugged. "I actually haven't tried that one yet," you admitted. There was something inside of you hoping he got the bait.

He didn't. "You have to! It's so good, especially when it's squished," he said.

Rather than letting your face fall, you smiled. "Yeah, guess I have to do that."

This pattern had gone on for a few weeks, now. You and your uncle had memorized his order, but you still didn't know his name. Plus, you had been subtly flirting with him in hopes he'd get the idea and ask you out. Hadn't happened just yet. Boys could be dense, though, so hope held out.

"Here's that sandwich," you said and handed it off. "Enjoy...?"

He finally picked up one of the hints you had been dropping and smiled. "Peter. Uh, Peter Parker."

"(Y/n)," you responded and the two of you shook hands. "Have a good one, see you tomorrow."

He waved and left with his sandwich and gummy worms in hand.

A shoulder nudged your arm and took you out of your trance. You didn't even realize you were still staring at the door after Peter had left. You turned your head and saw your uncle giving you one of those kinds of looks.