I'm Only Me When I'm With You

A/n: this was requested by Dragonsw so thank you very much! I always love requests that take a step out of my usual, like in this one, it's male!reader. Hope you guys enjoy this!!

LA wasn't bad. At least, that's what you had decided now that you've been living there for a couple years. You found your routine, and it was working well for you.

You worked a part-time job during the day, and fought crime at night. And some times, like today, you went out a bought groceries. That was actually a bit more common than most other things, because you had to eat quite a lot of human food to keep up with your metabolism.

Right. You're... not from around here. While you may not look like an alien, you definitely were one. Along with some classic alien powers, like telekinesis, telepathy, and astral projection, you also had some pretty cool super-human samurai skills. Along with a magic katana.

You originally were in your clan, training and living with your family. As it usually goes, your clan was attacked one day. And lost. You were barely able to escape, and now LA had to be your home.

There were still "training opportunities" in LA. Bad guys in all shapes an sizes tormented the city. Night was their usual strike time, so you patrolled. Others could take care of the daytime threats.

So it wasn't bad.

Being so lost in your thoughts, you barely noticed the person you were about to bump into with your cart. Luckily, at the last second, you snapped back to reality and stopped the cart with a small exclamation.

"Oh my- I- I am so s-sorry-" you stumbled out.

The beautiful woman you nearly ran over turned and smiled. "Oh no, I'm sorry, I shouldn't be standing in the middle of the aisle, staring at the shelves and pondering life choices," she said.

You chuckled. "Sounds like my kind of Saturday," you joked. To your extreme happiness, the woman laughed. And it wasn't a stupid polite laugh, it was a real laugh.

"Oh come on, not really?" she asked, the humor still in her face but you could feel the oncoming pity.

So, you shook your head. "Nah, only every now and then. I'm... I'm (Y/n), by the way," you said, reaching your hand out for her to shake.

"Jennifer, but I like Jen," she replied, gripping your hand in a firm shake.

It made your eyes go wide. "Quite the business-y handshake you've got there," you pointed out.

Jennifer- Jen smiled. "I'm a lawyer, you kind of have to get it down," she explained.

You nodded. There was a small lull, so you figured this was a good time to leave. "Uh, well, it was nice meeting you Jen."

She gave a small nod. "Nice to meet you as well, (Y/n)."

As you walked off, you tried to figure out why she was recognizable. She said she was a lawyer, maybe she was one of those popular ones who had ads everywhere. That felt right, so that's what you settled on as you started checking out.

You couldn't help but regret not getting a way to contact her, though. The two of you talked only briefly, but there was something sparking inside you that made you feel so... happy? But not just regular happiness.

There wasn't a ward to put on the feeling, and you didn't have time to find one since the cashier was handing you the receipt.

"(Y/n)!" You turned to see Jen running after you. "Here's my number." She handed you a piece of paper. "You seem really cool, I'd like to hang out again."