Unexpected Guests

gender neutral!reader

Peggy Carter knew her life would be interesting once she joined the war effort, back in the forties. She really didn't expect that part of her life to really be that interesting after, though.

But, when you're close friends with the one and only Howard Stark, it's hard not to have some spark. He was always doing something, whether it be getting framed for treason or creating something incredible, Peggy never found herself off her toes.

Today was no different. "Howard, I would love to see your latest work, I would, but I have to get to the office before the Chief gets angry with my tardiness," Peggy said, trying to ignore Howard.

If this had been a phone call, it would have been easier. It was not. "Come on, Peg! Besides Jarvis, I want you to see it first!" He was here, in person, begging for her to come to one of his many homes to see his latest invention.

He refused to tell Peggy what the invention was, however, which just made her suspicious. Part of the reason why she didn't really want to go.

"Please, Peggy, I'm onto something huge here!" Howard tried one last time.

And for some reason- Peggy is still not sure what it was- she sighed and gave in. "Fine. But it better not take long."

~~

You were cleaning around the Avengers tower that morning. There were no missions to do, no training to get on with, or anything of importance. To keep yourself busy, cleaning around the common areas was the decision. Tony had a team come in to do once a week, but you were bored.

It had a been a loud noise- you remember that very clearly. It was like something had collided with the top of the tower.

In an instant you were on the defense. You put down the non-threatening things in your hands and pulled your guns out from their holsters- yes, you almost always wore them, for occasions exactly like this one.

Slowly and carefully, you crept up the stairs leading to the roof exit. As you got closer to the door, you could hear people shouting- a man and a woman. You labeled them as the intruders. But they were being very loud about their arrival, so you didn't know if they were threats.

At the door, you prepared yourself by loading the guns and getting ready to shoot. You threw the door open and aimed.

The intruders stopped arguing and threw their hands up, the man dropping something in the process. "Don't shoot!" he shouted.

It took you a second longer than it should have to realize who they were. That disappointed you. But when you did, man were you glad you didn't shoot.

Your guns dropped to your sides, and your jaw dropped with them. The ability to speak completely evaporated from your mind. The intruders dropped their hands, slowly, with lots of confusion at your reaction.

Steps thundered up the stairs after you, and you could hear the distinctive sounds of the Iron Man suit flying up. "Shit," you muttered to yourself. You unloaded the guns and put them away. This reunion would not go well.

Tony came into view a second later in his Iron Man suit. He hovered in the air, his hands up and charging up.

Behind you, the thundering steps made it to the roof. Unfortunately, they belonged to Steve.

No one spoke for a second. From the corner of your eye, you watched Steve's shield move from it's defensive position to his side, dropping with shock much like your guns did.

"Peggy!?"

"Steve!?"

"Dad..."

"What."