A Different Kind of Inheritance

You never even had a chance at having a normal life. Not when your mother's Captain Marvel herself, Carol Danvers. She's an amazing mom, which is awesome of course, but it's hard sometimes.

Being an Avenger- and one of the only ones with the ability to go to space- meant she was away a lot. You understood, especially because when she was home, she was the best mom you could ask for.

For your birthday one year, a friend of yours got you a Polaroid camera and since then, you haven't stopped using it. Pictures of you and your mom, the Avengers you knew, Maria and Monica, and your other friends were quite literally everywhere on your wall. They were there for those weeks your mom had to go away.

Despite how much you love your mom, it's hard being her daughter. Everyone thought the child of Captain Marvel would inherit her powers. More like, hoped. Nobody understood how her powers affected her DNA. If they became a passable gene of any kind.

The answer was no. For years people like Nick Fury came by to see if you had "developed" anything, and your mom would always shake her head. When you turned ten, they stopped thinking it would ever happen.

It was because of this you felt "extra-ordinary." Even more so when your mom decided not to hide your relation to her (saying it would be too hard for little you and would just be a headache all around). Everyone knew you were the powerless daughter of the most powerful superhero in most likely the entire galaxy.

What you didn't have in powers, you made up in brains. Aerospace seemed to be the place you settled in- shocking- and it landed you a place at Midtown in New York City.

That's where you met your best friends Peter Parker and Ned Leeds, and then MJ and Betty. You were a good group of five. You even got close enough to be let in on Peter's big secret- his crush on MJ.

Okay, not that one, he also told you he was Spider-Man. He figured he could trust you of all people to keep his secret pretty locked up.

Along with the brains, you had a pretty rigorous workout schedule to stay fit. Your mom sometimes worked out with you, although those were just warm-ups for her. Every morning before school, you went on a mile run, going out of your building and around a few blocks before getting ready for school.

And that's the cause for everything suddenly going to shit.

"I'm going for my run!" you called from the front door, slipping on your shoes and then starting a running workout on your watch.

"Be careful!" a voice called from somewhere in the apartment.

As you opened up the door, you called back, "I will be!" Once it shut, you put your earbuds in, hitting play on your watch and began at a light jogging pace to get out of the building and down the stairs. Once out, you picked up the pace slowly in beat with your playlist.

It was specially made so the beat of the song slowly sped up and you would slowly speed up with it. The point was to match your footfalls with the beats of the songs. It was a pretty successful strategy so far.

Running, even with music playing in your ears, left your mind wandering into different avenues of thought. One that was frequently was the thought that maybe you could workout so much and gain your mom's powers.

That was a road reserved for desperate and depressing days. You decided today wasn't going to be that kind of day.

The nice weather and cool breeze helped make it that way. Sure, it would be so nice to have powers and be able to fight side-by-side with your mom. Talk about a power duo. But you'd survive without. Besides, if you mange, you could make your own Iron Man suit that's fit for space and travel to new places with your mom.