How You Get The Girl

This imagine is based off the Taylor Swift song of the same name- feel free to give it a listen! (But only listen to Taylor's Version lest you support a horrible man lol)

You were curled up on your couch, enjoying a book during the rainstorm. Rainy days were the best for reading. They just felt so cozy.

The knock at the door had you pausing. Who was coming to see you, especially in this weather? You placed your bookmark in the book and set it down on the coffee table. You didn't have a window by the door to your apartment, so you'd just have to open it and hope for the best.

When you did, you gasped. "Are you insane?" you immediately asked.

Your ex-boyfriend, Steve Rogers, was standing in the rain, soaking wet. He was shaking just a little from the cold and it made you forget who he was for a second.

"Come inside and dry off before you catch your death," you mumbled, pulling him into your apartment and closing the door.

He let you guide him to your living room, where you left him standing to go grab a towel so he could dry off. Steve looked around the room, noting how not much had changed since the last time he was here.

When you came back and offered him a bath towel, Steve went ahead and took it. He wouldn't get sick from being out in the rain, but he also didn't like being soaking wet.

Neither of you spoke for a second, and Steve finally decided to take that as his cue. "It's been a long six months..." he started after drying off his face.

You nodded, not knowing how to continue. The two of you dated for a few months- nearly a year- before the relationship ended. Six months between then and now felt almost as long as the relationship.

Steve was scared to say what he really want to. You didn't know what he wanted to say, but you knew what you wanted him to say. If he were to say he wanted you back, to give this another try, you'd say yes so quickly. If he were to remind you of how it used to be, you would have no choice but to be with him again.

This weird silence went on for a while. Then, "I'm sorry I never told you why... I- I must've lost my mind."

That brought back the painful memories. For a split second, you found yourself wanting to kick him out and avoid dealing with the pain all over again. Steve will never know how close he came to losing you again that night.

Finally, Steve sighed and let his arms fall to his sides. The movements caught your attention. "I'm sorry. I was... I came here tonight to tell you so much and then the second I saw you standing right in front of me again, for the first time in so long, I got scared. I was too afraid to tell you what I want."

You took a very small step toward him, but he saw it all the same. "What do you want?"

He closed the gap between the two of you, moved the towel to his shoulder, and took a gentle hold of both of your hands. "I want you, for worse or for better. And I know I broke your heart, but I will put it back together. I'll take as long as I need to in order to do it. And if you're scared to trust me again, that's okay. I will wait forever and ever."

The sudden confession threw you for a loop. It was everything you wanted him to say, but you didn't expect him to say it so suddenly and so confidently, as if the words had been begging to come out since the day you walked away from him for the last time.

You smiled. That was the first reaction you were able to pull out of your shocked state. "Remind me how it used to be," you whispered, already knowing you'll say yes, but wanting him to tell you the things you had been replaying in your head for months.

Steve did as requested. He reminded you of how much fun the two of you had, how you made him feel so normal and young. That was what scared him. Ever since coming out of the ice, he hadn't had the chance to be normal. Maybe it was the line of work he was in, maybe he just didn't want to allow himself happiness.

When he finally gave himself a chance to feel happiness with you, however, he was scared of what it could mean. Losing you. You losing him. Neither option was great.

"But I realized I want to take that chance. I... I didn't want to allow myself to be happy, feeling like I was betraying Peg or that I didn't deserve it or anything. It took me some time to realize I do deserve it. And I only felt that kind of happiness with you."

Your cheeks hurt from how hard you were smiling. Ignoring the fact that his clothes were still wet, you pulled Steve in for a hug, deciding you might never let him go.

He closed his eyes and let himself soak up this feeling he's been lacking for so long. At first, he didn't want to bombard you with all of this information, worried he'd scared you away. His friends and teammates had been the ones to convince him to at least try.

And it worked.

That's how he got the girl.

~Fin~

A/n: I know this is sort (and sweet, hopefully), but the song is pretty simple, too, so I didn't want to overcomplicate things by making it this huge, dramatic storyline. Plus, we all need a little bit of fluff every now and then, and I thought this was a good way to do it!

If you'd like to help me out and fill out my Google Form, asking for y'all's preferences when reading imagines (like these) and fanfics, let me know! Here's the link:

https://forms.gle/qCLFUeFyod9pDFLm7 

You just have to copy and paste it! If it doesn't work, let me know, and I'll send it to you directly. It's all anonymous, so don't hold back or be worried I'll find you, because I won't! I'm too lazy for that. But not lazy enough to no care!

Anyway, I'll see you next week Lovelies!!!!!!!!