□⁠ Chapter 21

□⁠ □⁠ □⁠

□⁠ □⁠ □⁠

Wiping a stray tear away from her eyes, she quickly faced him

Wiping a stray tear away from her eyes, she quickly faced him. Smiling and acting as if the words didn't break her heart. She was attached to him, in an unexpected way she hadn't realized, something she wouldn't have if not for these words. If only he did not talk about them.

What did he have to say out loud?

She knew they won't be meeting after this, there was no way they will be together.

This was a fling.

It was supposed to stay that way. But did it stay? No.

It was something more.

The day they met, the universe played them to come closer, and get to know each other. It set them up to become this and now it was breaking them apart.

Why did this pain?

Why she felt crying and smile to show him she was fine at the same time?

Why is the need to show she wasn't affected by everything taking a toll on her sanity?

"Stop smiling when you don't want to." He said without looking at her, his amber eyes glared the water.

"I'm smiling because I want to." She stood beside her, letting her eyes talk and bargain with the withheld tears, they were ready to drop down but her eyelids kept them locked up. "When do you plan to leave?"

"Not now." He answered, "I would never if that works."

He wasn't supposed to say that.

She muffled her to sniff, and the sob that was ready to jump past her lips was swallowed. "You cannot do that."

"Stop reminding me that." He glared at her, "Why are you crying?"

Vandita quickly touched her face and recoiled feeling wetness dropping on her cheeks.

"Noor, look at me." He called her name in the softest voice.

She shook her head, turning away from him, wiping her face, and shutting her eyes to stop them.