8. Mess It Up

The tension between the two was unbearable.

Jade knew it, she could feel it in the air, so present it could be almost solid.

A wild part inside her wanted so badly to give herself over to her desire for Kit.

But the part in her that was afraid spoke louder.

Jade stands up and looks around.

- Nothing that interesting- she says, answering Kit's question.

Kit frowns and takes a step toward her.

- Okay, what was that?

Jade looks at her.

- What was what?- she asks.

Kit points to the table and circles it towards Jade.

- You visibly fought something in your mind and some side just lost - She says, Jade frowns - Believe me Jade, you are extremely expressive.

Jade rolls her eyes and crosses her arms.

- I was trying to decide on a polite way to tell you that I have an appointment in ten minutes and I need to lock up the office, with you outside.

Kit raises her eyebrows.

- And I see the polite suggestion lost this fight- she says.

Oh by all the gods, she's so...Kit

- I didn't mean to offend you- Jade says.

Kit nods.

- It's okay- she says -I don't want you to be late for your appointment.

And with that she turns and walks out the door, not once looking back.

Jade lets out a long sigh as soon as the front door slams shut.

- Fifty or a thousand years can go by - she mutters to herself - She's always going to be difficult.

+++

Kit feels her veins boil with anger.

Of course Jade had no appointment, she was just trying to get rid of Kit's presence.

Kit throws herself onto one of the sofas in the library, covering her face with her arm.

Jade had been rejecting Kit since the beginning, but the girl always insisted, it was practically masochism.

Kit lets out an angry grunt as she feels a tear run down her cheek, Kit hates that anything that shakes her makes her cry easy, it's embarrassing.

Kit knows she shouldn't push it but There was something about Jade that.... She just can't resist, it's like a magnet, pulling her so strongly towards Jade that it scared her sometimes.

- Hey, are you okay?- she hears someone say

Kit quickly dries her tears and looks up.

Oh great, Professor Ronan from detention.

She grimaces.

- Are you following me or something?-she asks, disgusted.

- No - he says patiently -I'm a regular at the library, but you're not.

Kit sighs and looks away.

- Do you wanna talk? - he says, -You don't look well and...

- Go away, professor- she says sharply - You'd be the last person I'd cry my tears with.

He stares at her for a few minutes before leaving in silence, and Kit stands up and walks away, furious.

This is one of the most dangerous things about Kit: her anger; the young woman had a huge amount of pent-up rage in her, and when that rage gets too close to the surface, Kit tended to do stupid things.