50. Beginning to End

Jade advances across the square, drawing her sword and slipping on the ground covering the grass, Arann does not see her, which enables her to approach him from behind.

She feels pure rage and grief in her chest, she cannot get out of her mind the image of Agnar's head, lifeless, the golden eyes that have always been full of malice and stupidity, empty and blank.

She raises her sword and strikes, aiming for Arann's neck, ready to do to him exactly what he did to his own brother.

But Arann turns at the last second, stopping the blade with his own hand, the sword sinking into his palm, making a deep cut that immediately begins to bleed.

He cracks a smile.

- The prodigal daughter comes to avenge her father, finally - He says, drawing his own sword - We'll make it like old times, yes?

Jade doesn't say a word, she just strikes again, her blade crashing against his, emitting a sharp, crisp sound, she grunts as he defends himself against each blow she strikes, he probably had as much training as Agnar.

But that wouldn't stop Jade from killing him.

She strikes another blow, and this time, she hits his arm, making a huge cut, Jade takes advantage of the opening and strikes once more, making Arann retreat, fury runs through her body like fire, and she advances once more, at the exact moment a huge wave of power hits the square, like a whirlwind, hitting vampires and servants of the Wyrm, without any exception.

Jade and Arann fall, hitting the ground with such force that it makes Jade's vision twist, she takes a minute to recover, she feels blood dripping from the wound where she hit her head, when Jade stands up, she sees that Arann is still fallen, breathing with difficulty, He clings to his chest, where a spear is stuck, coming from somewhere with the immense power that has been unleashed upon them.

She turns and sees the source of all this power and finds Elora and Cherlindrea in the center of the square, holding hands, chanting an ancient song, while the air around them crackles with electricity.

They are gathering energy for the next wave.

Jade sees more of Arann's soldiers enter the square, with twice as much firepower, she sees her wizard and vampire allies retreat, far outnumbered by the enemy.

And Jade sees exactly the web weaving inside that battlefield, she sees the enemies lining up, getting into attack position, around the square's palanquin, where the four sorceresses are, two fighting inside a shield of power, without any notion of what is happening outside, and two, totally vulnerable, performing a ritual in the middle of the square.

The young woman is torn between running to protect them or ending Arann once and for all.

She feels her head heavy, still dizzy from the fall, and turns to Arann, who now has a smile on his face, blood dripping from his mouth incessantly.

Jade approaches him, making her decision.

- I won - he says - You'll never get out of here alive.

She silences him as she brings her sword down hard on his neck, separating his head from his neck, Jade staggers, watching the life quickly fade from Arann's eyes, she watches the skin on his broken neck twist, the poison trying to recover what it lost before the body finally stops working.

And without allowing herself to think too much about it, Jade rushes forward to the palaquin, she can hear Elora's and Cherlindrea's enchantment, and stops when she realizes what they are doing.

Everyone stops, enemies and allies alike, the square has become a fearful silence, even Kit and Ross stop fighting, dissolving the shield around them and turning to the two sorceresses.