49. Who Will Save Us

Author's note: It happened that my trip was canceled twice, and I'm having a horrible week...AND WILLOW WILL BE REMOVED FROM DISNEY+. So get ready for pain and suffering, I won't spare any drops of hate and sadness I have inside me.

TRIGGER WARNING: extreme violence, blood, death, traumatic events

Who Will Save Us by Tommee Profitt feat. Fleurie

Kit feels as if the world around her has become silent, she could no longer hear the screams or the sound of fighting around her, only Ross' voice echoing in her head.

She stood right there, with Airk in her hands and hatred in her eyes.

Kit feels a sharp pain in her chest and takes a minute to name it.

Betrayal.

- What are you doing, Ross? - Kit asks, denying that it was real.

Jade puts her arm in front of Kit, preventing her from approaching Ross.

- You have a choice to make, Kit- Ross says, lifting Airk by his hair and placing a curved dagger over his neck -and I should warn you in advance that your brother's life will depend on your response.

- The only choice she has is whether she will allow me to kill you now or later- Jade says, stepping forward.

Kit puts her hand on Jade's chest, stopping her from moving forward, the young woman frowns at Kit.

- I can't risk Airk's life - Kit says, her voice comes out weak and shaky, and Jade can see how broken her heart is and how scared she is - Just... Trust me, okay? And don't let anyone else intervene.

She takes from her belt a sword she had brought to Jade, the young woman takes the sword from Kit's hands, and nods, assuming the soldier's position.

Kit takes a deep breath and approaches Ross, Airk mumbles something, as if to alert Kit of something.

- It's me you want - Kit says taking her sword from its sheath and placing it on the ground in front of Ross - Let him go, I promise you, I won't go anywhere.

Ross cracks a smile.

- How stupid do you think I am? - she inquires. - Don't play games with me Kit, it's not a good idea.

- I'm not trying to trick you- Kit's voice comes out firm and commanding -Leave Airk and I'll take his place, this is something only you and I can work out, my brother has nothing to do with it.

Ross hesitates, and after a long minute, she releases Airk's gag and pushes him in the opposite direction, throwing him down the steps of the palanquin, Airk stumbles and falls, but gets up as soon as he falls on the grass of the square, he moves towards them, but Kit quickly erects a magical barrier around them, like a bubble, preventing anyone from entering or leaving.

Kit looks back towards Jade, who is fighting a large group of vampires that have come to attack her, she meets Kit's gaze and tries to make her way to reach her, but the vampires attack her.

Kit turns to Ross.

- It's just you and me now - Kit says, showing the barrier around - Exactly as you wanted, without the intervention of anyone, not even Jade.

Ross hesitates, she takes a deep breath and steps towards him.

- I had no intention of hurting you- she says.