51. We Go Down Together

Kit shifts her eyes to Ross, who is spitting blood after being beaten by Scorpia, she stands between her and Boorman, the last survivor of the army.

Hatred and fury run through Kit's body like ice, she feels her hands tremble and the sudden urge to rip Ross's life out with her bare hands.

She lets go of Jade and slowly approaches the young woman, who raises her eyes to her, terror fills Ross's green irises and she begins to murmur, so low that Kit can't hear her.

- Please - She hears it as soon as it stops in front of her - Kit.

Scorpia and Boorman let Ross go and walk away, recognizing that this is a victory for Kit only.

Kit lifts Ross by the arm and asks, her voice shaking with fury:

- Were you the Wyrm's harbinger all this time? From the very beginning? Be straight with me Ross.

Ross looks at Kit and she sees the shadow of grief darken the young woman's eyes.

- Yes- she says - My only mission was to get close to you, to get you to trust me, so that I could convince you to join us.- She takes Kit's hands - But I didn't believe that I would get so involved, I swear, if I had known that I would fall in love with you, things would have been different...

Kit raises her eyebrows, she wouldn't fall for this, although Ross's feelings were true, her intentions were not.

- How different? - She asks, tilting her head to the side.-Would you have left the order? Would you have said no to him?

Ross frowns.

- No- she says -I would have been better at convincing you, Kit ...- She takes a deep breath - What the Wyrm has to offer us... to this world... it's the best of the best, he wants to turn everything into paradise, without pain or death, imagine, getting Cherlindrea back, getting back all those you've lost, he can give it to you! It's not too late for you, Kit, please.

Kit lets go of Ross's hands, disgusted.

- If you believe that, then you're an fool- she says.

Ross takes a step towards her, and Kit sees with her peripheral vision, Jade takes a step as well.

- Please, Kit- Ross sobs, her eyes filling with tears - you have to say yes, I don't want you to suffer the fate he will give to those who refuse him!

- I will never join the Wyrm- she says firmly - never in my entire existence.

Ross closes her eyes, her sobs echoing through the silent square, Kit feels Jade and the others approaching, then she turns her head back and says in a firm tone:

- I will handle this on my own, don't you dare interfere... - She is interrupted when a sharp, deep sharpness runs through her body.

- I'm doing this for your own good- Ross whispers as she thrusts the thin spear she summoned with her power a second before she pierced Kit with it- It's better than what he has prepared for you.

- NO! - Jade's scream echoes through the square, and not even a second later, Ross is torn from Kit's arms.

+++

Jade feels the tension boil her body, she feels the urgency to get Kit away from that Ross girl, they shouldn't be so close.

She leans forward to take a step, and in reflex, Boorman, Scorpia and Elora do the same.

But it is Kit who turns and says with the firmness of a monarch:

- I will handle this alone, don't you dare interfere.... - Her sentence is cut in half when something happens that makes her turn to Ross with wide eyes, Jade can't see what happened, but she hears Ross whisper something to Kit.