45. New Ways

To Jade's surprise, the hardest part was not exorcising all the vampires, but bringing them all to her shed without anyone seeing them.

They waited until night fell so they could move, two by two, leaving at intervals of 20 to 30 minutes, the directions were clear: climb through the alleys towards the north to the forest, there, Boorman, Agnar and Scorpia would guide everyone to the shed.

Kit and Jade stayed last, to make sure all the vampires followed the right path.

- 28 minutes Kit, let's go - Jade says looking at her watch, she opens the door of the container slowly.

Kit comes out right behind her, leaving the gun Cherlindrea gave her behind, both young women start walking, zigzagging through the container maze until they find the alleys.

The night is cold, the merciless wind whipping their faces, making their teeth chatter.

Jade notices that Kit is shivering and takes her hand, approaching the young woman and sliding her arm around her waist, bringing her some of her body heat.

They walk for long minutes, paying attention to the streets around them, when they finally reach the forest, who awaits them is Boorman, he has a warm blanket around him, and as soon as he sees them, he opens a smile and waves.

- Yes, Boorman, we can see you- Kit laughs.

- It's freezing cold- he complains, putting his body weight on one leg.

He turns and walks away, Jade rolls her eyes as she stares at the man's broad back, Boorman walks as if he had weight on his feet, with each step he leans toward the leg that touches the ground, making his dark hair swing.

Kit walked like that too, though her gait was softer than his, she walked as if she carried weights in her boots.

Maybe it wasn't just in her boots that her weights were, but also on her shoulders, after she had told Jade about the prophecy and the appearance of Cherlindrea... she couldn't imagine the pressure Kit would be feeling at the moment.

She keeps this thought in her mind until they reach the shed, which is in a hidden place in the forest, between two high rocks that are covered by the shadows of even bigger trees, the shed was long and tall, and had only two bathrooms, a kitchen and a small cabin that served as an office for Jade from time to time, everything else was a single room, big and spacious enough for everyone to be safe there.

When they enter, Boorman locks the door with a large piece of wood, the smell of soup fills the air, Scorpia and Cherlindrea must have found Jade's stash in the cupboards.

Soup wouldn't help at all for her or the other vampires, they could feed on it, but it wouldn't make them stronger or more nutritious, they need blood.

- Do you see that door over there? - She whispers to Kit, indicating the door above the shed, opposite the spiral staircase - That's my cabin, go up there, I'll be right up okay?

- Uhum - Kit replies, hurrying to find a warmer place.

If Jade, who, thanks to her vampiric organism, felt cold, imagine Kit, who had only the limitations of her mortal body to defend her from the cold.

Jade crosses the shed, many of the vampires have already found the mattresses and blankets and are already preparing to warm themselves, she enters the kitchen, where Scorpia and Cherlindrea are cooking in silence.

- Is everything alright? - She asks - Was anyone followed?

- No - Cherlindrea assures, turning around - But I would like to know what are the ideas of how things will happen now - Jade approaches to fill a plate with hot soup - Scorpia said that Elora and Graydon went after the wizards of Oorla