37. Treacherous ( part two)

- I swear to all the gods Jade - Elora exclaims into the phone - How could you just let her go?

- I didn't let her go! - Jade says - She just ran off in the middle of the night.

- I thought vampires didn't need to sleep!

Jade grunts, stressed.

- Kit has a life, Elora! - She says, -She can choose what to do with it, and like you said, I don't control her, and I can't force her to do something she doesn't want to do!

- Do you know the danger she might be in? What if she runs into some vampire? Or worse, someone from the Order of the Wyrm?

- Kit's lived for years without us, Elora, I think she can handle herself- she says angrily. - And don't say like you're suffering more than me, you how painful it is to have your fucking soul mate, the great love of your life just dread you? No! You don't know what it's like! Because all Graydon ever did was love you unconditionally!

- Don't make me the villain Jade, you were responsible for Kit!

- Okay okay okay - Jade hears Graydon's voice say, he takes the phone from Elora and says:- Jade, why don't we all calm our nerves, hm?- Jade hears her doorbell ring and she goes to open the door, with the phone to her ear and muttering to herself - We're all worried about Kit, and fighting amongst ourselves isn't going to help find...

She stops listening when she opens the door and finds Kit standing there, arms crossed behind her back.

- I'm going to have to call you later- Jade says, -We'll figure this out later, okay? okay! bye bye.

She hangs up the phone, her heart racing as she meets Kit's gaze.

- Kit.

- Jade - She says, walking in, she wears clothes that look too loose on her body, like they belong to someone else.

Where has she been?

Jade closes the door, suddenly feeling nervous, from the way Kit is behaving, something unusual must have happened.

- Who were you talking to? - Kit asks, turning to Jade and leaning on the sofa, eyebrows raised, her expression careful.

- A friend. - She says and steps forward - Listen Kit, I know you're upset and you must be scared about all this, but I just want you to know that it was never my intention for it to come to this...

- I'm not scared- she says, -not anymore, and well... - She tilts her head - I have to say that at some point, you knew that keeping this from me could go wrong, you always think about the little details.

Jade swallows hard.

- The chances of you finding out were slim to none- she confesses.

- hm -Kit says, being intentionally sharp, Kit is furious and Jade knows it, -but that doesn't mean that's a good reason to lie to me, I mean... this happened once before, remember?

Jade raises her eyes to Kit and feels her heart skip a beat.

What did she just say?

- Who were you talking to on the phone? - Kit asks again- Elora? Boorman? Airk?

Jade's heart stops in her chest and a shiver runs down her spine, she feels as if her worst nightmare has just come true.

She remains speechless, too shocked to say anything.

- I already know everything- Kit approaches her, -I remember everything, every memory and recollection of all my past lives, our past lives- she takes a deep breath, -and as much as I now understand why you did what you did, that doesn't mean I'm okay with it.

Jade closes her eyes for a moment, she feels as if something is dissipating, slowly, out of her grasp.

- Kit I... - She says, her voice weak and low.

- We have a long time to discuss- Kit says, her angry expression being replaced by a pained look in her eyes, her voice failing her as she speaks, -because you, Jade, have hurt me more than you know.