Chapter Two - Just a Phone Call, Right?

Will I ever see him again, after graduation?

This thought skitters across my mind out of the blue as I stare at the photo of Adrien and I. It's just a friendly picture that Alya snapped of us one time at a picnic we all had. We were sitting beside each other, and he offered me a bite of his pastry. I brought a bunch but I counted wrong and by the time I offered one to everyone, there was none left for me. Adrien asked if I wanted a bite and I politely declined, but he kept pushing it towards my face. The picture is the two of us laughing while he's trying to feed me. It was the most normal I've ever felt with him, I didn't panic or stumble over my words, or make a fool of myself.

I loved this picture, but now it works as a painful reminder that my time with Adrien is nearing an end. Eventually, he'll graduate and go off to do big things. And he'll slowly forget about me, I'll just become an old friend he might think of here and there when he thinks about his high school days.

Worst of all? I'll never have told him how I feel about him. After all these years, I have never been able to say it to his face. With only one year left, I know I won't be able to do it. All I've ever done is let myself down. Myself and all my friends who have been rooting for me.

"Marinette, can you please come down stairs?" My mom calls, and I begrudgingly flop out of bed and land rather ungracefully on my wobbly legs. I make my way down into the kitchen, plopping myself on the kitchen counter while I watch my parents stand there awkwardly. My mom makes  some tea while my dad stares between the two of us. I feel a lecture coming on, so I brace myself for being reminded of how much I'm disappointing them once again.

"Marinette, sweetie. I know you're going through a hard time right now, but you promised your father and I that you would go out with Alya today to check out various colleges offering the fashion courses that you want. You know that your father and I support whatever dreams you have, but you need to show us you're going to work for those dreams." My mom offers me a cup of tea, cringing as she stares at me sitting on top of her clean counter. I shrink into myself, sliding off the countertop and sipping the hot tea.

"I know, I know. But I don't really know what I want right now. I have time still, don't I?"

My dad pipes up, smiling softly. "Yes honey, of course you do. But you're staying up in your room like a little hermit crab these days. We want you to get out and see your friends a bit. Cheer yourself up, get out of this funk that you're in." He takes a cup of tea from mom, giving her a little peck on the forehead while he's at it. She nestles comfortably into his side, making me wish I could find a happy love like them.

"I'll go see my friends today, okay? But I can't make any promises about school yet. Just give me some more time, okay? Please?"

"Of course, sweetie. Just promise us you'll make an effort." I nod my head, hugging my parents before making my way up to my bedroom again. I guess I better shower and get ready to go out.

I shoot Alya a text to make sure she's free. While I sip my tea, I pick out an outfit for the day. A nice summer dress that I made a few weeks back. It's white with pink and orange flowers embroidered into the skirt of the dress. It's form fitting from the chest to the waist, before flaring out in pretty layers, stopping just below the knee. The straps are just a few inches thick, with a sweetheart neckline. It's perfect for a warm day with a slight breeze to help keep you cool and looking cute. The embroidery is a bit messy, I'm not the greatest at that, but the dress itself is some of my best work yet.

I shower and take my time trying to make myself feel a little pampered. Getting out, I dry my hair to the best of my abilities before slipping into my dress and zipping it up. I don't bother with any makeup, just tossing my hair into two braids on each side of my head, and heading back downstairs. I shoot Alya another text, asking her where she's at.