Chapter Thirty Six - Winner Takes It All: Part Two

Contents of this chapter may be unsuitable for some readers. Mentions of blood, death, abuse and trauma. Reader's discretion is advised.

"So what is it, dad? Are you going to hand over your Miraculous and give yourself up to the police?" Adrien asks after a few moments of silence, everyone in the lobby as stiff as a board watching the two interact.

I try my best to sneak closer to Hawkmoth without getting his attention.

"I didn't come this far to just give up now, Adrien. You understand I want to save your mother, right?"

"I do."

"And you are still standing in my way?" Hawkmoth asks, genuinely shocked that his son won't blindly agree.

"I am." Adrien doesn't shy away, for the first time in his life he's really putting his foot down against his father.

"Then you're no son of mine." Hawkmoth spits out, making Adrien laugh coolly.

"As if you could ever even call yourself my father. You neglected me, controlled every bit of my life and treated me like shit!" Adrien yells, making Hawkmoth scoff.

"I was trying to raise a good, smart and well rounded kid. Clearly I've failed."

"You had me kidnapped!" Adrien shoots back, exasperated.

"Oh come on, you were totally safe the whole time!"

"I didn't fucking know that!" Adrien yells, his face morphing into a look of disgust and disbelief, as if his own father's stupidity was lost on him.

"You're acting as though everything I have done isn't with your best interest in mind!" Hawkmoth yells back, his arms swinging out in exasperation. Viperion jumps back to avoid getting smacked by Hawkmoth.

"You can't say that when all you've done is neglect and hurt me. All I've ever wanted was to be loved, unconditionally, the way mom loved me. People die, dad! You can't change that fact! And you can't bring her back! I finally found love, someone who loves me for me, and you tried to kill her!"

"Okay, for starters, I can bring your mother back. And I never tried to kill Marinette! Nathalie and Lila worked on their own volition." Hawkmoth retorts, propping his hands up on his hip. If I could just sneak up a little closer, I can quickly yank his Miraculous off. We'll be one step closer to winning this.

"With the powers you gave them." Chat Noir deadpans, watching his father with a look that screams how-could-you-possibly-be-this-stupid.

"That's like saying the gun shop owner is responsible when someone fires a gun they bought." Hawkmoth chuckles humorously, making Chat Noir grit his teeth.

"You thick skulled moron, if you give someone the tools they need to hurt someone, especially when you know they are going to hurt someone, it is your fault!" I've never heard Adrien talk so aggressively to anyone, let alone his own father.

"You watch your tone when you speak to me young man!" Hawkmoth advances, getting further away from me. He goes to slap Chat Noir, and to my surprise my kind hearted partner just allows it to happen.

He stands there and takes the hit. The loud smack rings through the air, Chat Noir's head whipping to the side. When he turns back to Hawkmoth, his lip curled in disgust, he says the words that finalize everything.