Chapter Eight - Times like These

Staring at my phone in shock, I read the text for the billionth time.

Adrien Agreste: Hello Marinette! Just wanted to ask if you're free today? Nino and I are thinking of going to the bowling alley. Would you like to join us?

I dial up my best friend after a few moments of shock. Alya picks up on the third ring, an excited hello rushing out of her lips.

"Hey Alya, what's the whole plan with-"

"Bowling! With Nino my amazing boyfriend, Marinette my fantastic best friend, and Adrien freaking Agreste, the hottest boy in Paris! Aren't you excited?!"

"Nino will forever have a complex of some kind of he hears you say that about Adrien." I laugh and she snorts. I feel as though I can hear her eyes rolling as I said that.

"My boyfriend is cute, and certainly not blind. I mean, look at his taste in women. He clearly see's the appeal in his best friend." She says, drawing out the word appeal. I chuckle, now rolling my eyes in response.

"Who came up with this plan, and how come I'm the last to know?" Questioning Alya, I stare at myself in the mirror. I look okay, plain black leggings on and a white t-shirt with thick pink seams. I could go in this, simple and cute.

"Actually, you wouldn't believe it. Adrien himself came up with this idea. I guess he had a free day and wanted to see his favourite people, especially the girl he loves." She says slowly, making me sigh in awe. Thinking of Adrien having feelings for me, what a dream come true. A wild dream that likely will never happen, but a dream nonetheless.

"Alright, I'll meet up with you guys, sounds good?"

"Nino and I are gonna meet you both there, see you girl!" She hangs up abruptly, and I realize I forgot to ask for help drafting a response to Adrien.

Me: Hey Adrien! I would love that, I'll meet you guys at the bowling alley then!

A very short minute later, my phone dings and I see his response.

Adrien Agreste: I can pick you up, does that sound okay with you? Nino and Alya are already heading there.
Me: Sure! Thank you! When should I be ready?
Adrien Agreste: Does 10 mins work with you?
Me: It sure does! See you then!

It most certainly does not work with me.

I quickly start getting myself done up better, applying some quick makeup and throwing my hair into two braids. I quickly brush my teeth and then rinse with mouthwash. Checking my breath and unsatisfied with the lack of mint, I rinse my mouth two more times. Quickly putting on some lotion and perfume, I check my reflection one more time.

Decent makeup, decent braids, decent outfit, minty breath and I smell good. Overall, not bad for 10 minutes. Nothing spectacular, but hey, at the very least I'm average.

Good ole' average Marinette.

"This is so exciting!" Tikki floats above my purse, ready to head out. I laugh, rubbing her little head. She beams brightly at me.

"I agree, this is a huge advancement with Adrien. Who knows, maybe I will get the chance to grow closer with him this year."

"You've got this, Marinette. Adrien is lucky to have you in his life, and he knows that." She smiles, helping to boost my confidence. I thank the little Kwami, opening the purse for her to dive in. I head downstairs, notifying my parents of my plans.

"Will you be home for dinner?" My mom asks, a frown on her face.

"I'm not too sure." I say honestly, looking at the clock. It's only 2pm, so maybe. "I might be."