Chapter Six - Croissant, Anyone?

"MARINETTE! GIRL WAKE UP!" I jump startle awake, gasping as I clutch my blankets to my chest. I stare wide eyed at my best friend, Alya. She laughs, lunging herself onto my bed and smothering me in a bear hug.

"You're so lazy." She giggles, poking at me. I groan, shoving her back. She swats at my hand, trying to tickle me some more.

"Alyaaaa, knock it off man. What time even is it?" I continue to shove her away as she whips out her phone to showcase the time. It's only 7:30am, gaping at the phone I look at my best friend like the nutcase she is.

"You have got to be kidding me." I rub my eyes, muttering how inconsiderate she is for waking me up at this ungodly hour.

"Forgot that you're opening the bakery today? Good thing I came over to help you get your ass up and out of bed. Come on, you need to hurry, you owe me so much hot juicy gossip."

I quickly scramble out of bed, shoving my friend off. She laughs, hopping down off my platform bed and landing on her feet. I hear my mom call up to me, letting me know they're about to leave in a bit.

"Yes mom! I'm almost ready!" I lie through my teeth, quickly grabbing some clean clothes so I can take a quick shower and head to the bakery.

"No time to shower, miss. You slept far too late for that. You need to open the bakery doors at 8, remember? Already behind schedule, tsk tsk." Alya works as my voice of reason, reminding me that this is why I'm a superhero and not like, a bank teller or something.

"Being Ladybug is such a better job. More spontaneous, less time management." I grumble, changing into the clean clothes. She laughs, nudging me with her shoulder.

"Yeah well unfortunately being Ladybug doesn't pay for college." Alya points out and I grumble some more profanities under my breath. I wish everyone would just stop talking about college, it's the last thing I want to think about right now.

"Can we stop with the college talk for now? I have too much on my plate." She nods her head, agreeing with me.

"Amen sister, Nino and I keep arguing about it too. I honestly just don't want to think about it for a long while."

"Sounds like a plan to me." I grab my things and head downstairs, rushing towards the bakery.

"Marinette." My mom says disapprovingly. I stop and look at her as she lets out an exasperated sigh. "Please be more responsible when you need to open the bakery. Your father should have been spending his time getting ready with me, instead he's had to prepare for open."

"I'm sorry mom, I was up late last night. I promise it won't happen again." I lean in giving her a quick kiss on the cheek before rushing into the bakery. Alya trails behind me.

"Mari-"

"I know, I know. I'm late, I'm sorry. Mom already talked with me." I cut my dad off, and he just lets out a familiar sigh. If I took a shot for each time I made someone sigh like that, I would be hospitalized for alcohol poisoning.

"Everything's set up, just work the till and keep the baked goods stocked. If you run out of the Éclairs, just put a sold out sign up." I nod to him and he takes off upstairs without another word.

"Yikes. He's upset." Alya whispers, and I hold my finger up to my mouth to silence her, motioning to my ears and pointing upstairs.

"He'll hear, he somehow always does." I whisper even quieter. Setting up the open sign, I check the till and sit behind the counter while Alya sits on a stool. We spend the morning just chatting about random stuff while I serve the customers that come in. I filled her in on everything that happened with Adrien, but decide to leave out the stuff about Chat Noir. The last thing I need is for her to start speculating about us. Certainly not if she'll be inclined to update her LadyBlog about a potential love interest in Chat Noir's life. I doubt she'd be foolish enough to do that though.