Chapter Twelve - Who Even Likes Twitter Anyways?

I sit with my parents in the living room, telling them about my time at volunteering and how Adrien was there too.

I also tell them about the Akuma, and how it was the reason I got home a little later than intended.

"All that matters is you're safe, honey." My mom says, squeezing my fathers hand in hers. He nods, a look of anger on his

"Hawkmoth really needs to be defeated." He grumbles, my mom quickly leaning in to offer him some support.

"He sure does. But those heroes, they're just kids. They're doing great for a couple of young people." My mom smiles, a beacon of optimism as per usual.

I want to say something, but there's a lump in my throat. Judging by my fathers expression, he doesn't agree with my mom.

He doesn't think Ladybug is doing enough. All of Paris must feel the same way.

I'm letting everyone down.

"This just in!" The news anchor says, and we turn our attention back to the television. Nadia Chammack smiles excitedly into the camera as a tweet pulls up on screen with an attached image. It's Chat Noir, hugging someone on the streets. The person is blurred out, but I'm no idiot.

That's me.

The tweet reads "Chat Noir has officially moved on from Ladybug! He's seen here, embracing REDACTED after the Akuma battle today!"

"Chat Noir has been seen on the streets of Paris holding a young woman in his arms after the Akuma attack today! Eye witnesses state he had nothing but love in his eyes as he held onto the civilian. Can this be the end of Chat Noir and Ladybug's partnership after a messy breakup?" Nadia continues to speculate as my parents stare shocked at the screen. I wonder if they can tell it's me or not.

The news clearly redacted my information to maintain my privacy, especially since I'm a minor. But that tweet, there's no way that they cared enough to do the same.

I pull up Twitter, gasping as I see Chat Noir trending. When I tap on it, there's thousands of retweets and mentions of Chat Noir dating me, Marinette Dupain-Cheng. The daughter of a local baker.

My hand shakes as I stare at the phone, panic filling me more and more as each second passes. Should I say something to my parents? Should I tell them that it's me in the photo but it's not anything like it seems?

Does this make me and my parents a target for Hawkmoth now?

My phone rings and I stare at Alya's contact. She definitely saw the news too.

I decline her call, getting up to run to my room. My parents call out in question, but I don't have it in me to explain to anyone. I need to do something, and fast!

I answer the second time Alya calls.

"Mari-"

"Alya, I need you to come by so we can transform you into Rena Rouge so we can do some sort of public display with myself and Ladybug. Something to show that this is all a misunderstanding."

"Marinette, I don't see how you and Ladybug being united will erase anyone's belief that you're dating Chat Noir. Also, how come you never told me you and Chat Noir became so close?" She questions, hurt lacing her tone.

"Alya! Now isn't the time for that! I'll explain everything later, okay? Can you try to do social media damage control? Maybe write a post on the LadyBlog to clear up the misunderstanding."

"Then... what should I say?"

I can't think of anything different besides make Chat Noir be a public couple with someone else. I can try to convince him to confess to the girl he loves, but that's not fair for me to rush him into doing so, or forcing that girl to be in the spotlight.