Chapter Sixteen - Food is My Love Language

I'm sitting crossed legged under a tree outside with Adrien as we quietly begin opening up our lunches. Adrenaline courses through me, as though my body has mistaken eating lunch with Adrien to be an Akuma fight. It's as though I'm in fight or flight mode, and for no good reason either.

Adrien exposes his lunch to be a chicken caesar salad and a sandwich of some kind. I open up my lunch to show him my tofu teriyaki with white rice and mixed vegetables. It'll be a little hard to share mine, without having another bowl to put it in.

"It might be hard to share, but you can just eat out of the container, I don't mind." I say sheepishly, trying to muster the courage to speak more confidently. I try to picture I'm out with Chat Noir, that way the conversation will flow as easily as it does when I'm with him.

"You can do the same with my salad. Here, take half of my sandwich, it's a chicken sandwich if you like that."

"I do, thank you." I accept his offering, and we sit in silence eating with each other.

After a little while, Adrien clears his throat to break the silence.

"Your food is really good, what is it?" He questions, his fork ushering towards my lunch box between us. We're sitting facing each other as we feast out on our rag-tag lunch. None of this food tastes like it's meant to be eaten together, but it's still good nonetheless.

I guess that's the beauty of food, there really isn't rules to what you're allowed to eat and with what you can eat it with.

"It's tofu fried and marinated in teriyaki sauce, with just regular white rice and some mixed vegetables. My mom makes the best food, and my dad loves to bake. It's how my parents show their love, through fulfilling and nutritious food. A lot of time and effort goes into the food they make for the people they love." I smile as my thoughts race with the admiration I have for my parents, and the love they share with everyone around them.

They're really good people. I always worry I'm not a good enough daughter for them.

"I can imagine just how much they love you. They shaped you into the most wonderful person I know." Adrien's voice gently pulls my mind back to reality, my eyes searching his for a hint of mockery. But all I'm met with is tenderness and love.

Adrien's eyes look exactly like Chat Noirs.

I want to say something but a lump grows in my throat, like I'm moments away from crying. Could Adrien love me? Little ole' flawed me?

"I would love to try their cooking one day." He says quietly, a shy blush forming on his face. I want so badly to reach out and poke him, tease him for acting so cute.

"You're welcome to come by for food whenever you want." I say, fiddling with my thumbs in my lap. I ate as much as I can, too anxious to bother trying to take another bite.

"The same goes for you, you can come by my place whenever you want." He counters, taking a sip from his bottle of water. Reaching out, he offers the bottle to me and I hesitate. Drink from the same bottle Adrien just drank from?

Don't kids call that indirect kissing?

I give my brain a mental shake, wanting to roll my eyes at myself. I'm not a kid anymore, I'm 17 years old, and I'm acting like a child right now. I take the bottle, slinging my head back as my lips connecting with the rim, taking a swig of his drink.

Handing it back, Adrien looks a little pale. Could he have low blood sugar? Or low iron?

"Are you okay?" I tentatively ask, not sure what's making him look so flushed and serious.

"Y-yeah, yeah I'm fine." He quickly answers, taking the bottle from me and smiling. His face regains colour, his cheeks turning a little rosy. I wish I could tell him how cute he looks.