Chapter Thirty Four - Survival of the Fittest

"There's just no way we can help her. Mr Agreste has been keeping her body alive all these years, but she has no brain activity." The doctor explains as we all stand around staring at the body of Emilie Agreste in a glass case.

Almost as if she's on display for Gabriel to admire whenever he wants.

It's sick.

I stand with Chat Noir, the power of Ladybug surging through me. It's the only way I can keep my mind off my burning side, the ache becoming a little too painful. Besides, the two of us need to remain a united team.

Chat Noir stares at it in shock, his eyes never leaving his mom encased in glass. He looks as if he's seen a ghost.

It's been so long since he's seen his mom in anything besides photos and videos. He must miss her so very much.

I grab his hand, but he doesn't move to hold mine back. His limp fingers hanging loosely between my grasp.

"How are you sure there is no brain activity?" He asks quietly, the doctor glancing his way. I'm sure this is bringing up memories Adrien would rather keep deep within. I can't imagine what it must be like to think you've buried your mom, just to find her hidden in some chamber in a secret room below your house.

"Because there is no activity coming from her brain." The doctor says matter-of-fact. "She's comatose, and brain dead. Reviving Mrs. Agreste is impossible, I'm assuming that's why Mr. Agreste resorted to the powers of the Miraculous' to bring her back." The emotionless tone of the Doctor making Chat Noir clench his jaw.

"I want another opinion." He grits out, making the investigator sigh.

"Sir, this is the third doctor we've brought in to give you an opinion. They're all saying the same thing." The investigator walks over, placing his hand on Chat Noir's shoulder. Chat yanks back, shoving the investigator away.

"Money isn't the issue, bring me the best doctor the entire European continent can offer." Chat barks the order. I step in, trying to grab Chat to face me. When he tenses at my touch, I try my best not to take it personally.

"Chat Noir, I know you want to try to help, but let's calm down a little, okay?" I pat his chest gently, turning to the others in the room. "Can we please get some privacy so my partner and I can speak?"

"This is an ongoing investigation, ma'am. We can't leave you two alone down here."

"This is m-"

"Understood, sir." I cut Chat Noir off, nodding at the officers, investigators and the third doctor we've brought in. "Let's go upstairs, please." I urge my partner, watching his eyes flicker nervously back to his mother.

"I can't." He whispers, his shaky voice breaking my heart.

"It's going to be okay, Chat Noir. We need to talk, let's go." I urge him a little more, watching the pain flicker across his features as he physically forces himself to leave her behind.

I guide him back to the elevator that takes us up to the house. Unable to stop myself from staring at him, I watch his eyes begin to gloss over. The tears welling up on his waterline before silently trickling down his cheeks.

"Everything is going to be okay." I try to comfort, watching him let out a choked sob.

"This was hard enough the first time over. I-I didn't expect to have to bury my mom again. I didn't know all these years she was right below me." I pull him into a hug, letting him cry it out into the crook of my neck.

When we emerge from the elevator, I'm relieved to see an empty room. There's been so much people around lately that trying to find a moments of peace is few and far between.