Chapter Twenty Six - Nightmares no Longer Wait for Sleep

I sit on the couch in my living room, watching my mom set down some tea in front of me. When she nestles down into the spot beside me, she turns to give me her full undivided attention.

When she doesn't speak first, I take the initiative to control the narrative now. I can't find the best place to start, so I'll start at the beginning.

"A long while ago, when I was 14 years old, I was given my Miraculous. It was a mystery at first, and I struggled to learn how to use it. I would show you Tikki, but you can't see her unless you're wearing my Miraculous." I look at Tikki who stays hidden out of habit. We never take chances. I take a deep breath before continuing.

"I quickly became Ladybug at the same time Chat Noir became, well, Chat Noir. It's been hard trying to balance being a normal teenager and Ladybug. Especially since most people have turned against me now. They don't think I'm doing a good enough job, and that's fair criticism but it's near impossible to find Hawkmoth."

My mom's hand reaches out to clasp my own, offering me a squeeze. I look up at her to see her eyes brimming with tears but a small smile on her face.

"I've been struggling with what comes next. I'll be graduating soon, and we haven't beaten Hawkmoth yet. That limits me on what I can do. But at the same time, I'm worried about what happens even if I do beat Hawkmoth. Im worried I'm going to fail at being Ladybug and Marinette. I'm just.. scared. I'm really scared, mom." I gulp down the lump forming in my throat, my nose burning as tears start to well in my eyes. My mom pulls me into a hug, wrapping her arms around me as I cry into her chest. My head leaning against her, I let the beating of her heart soothe me.

"You won't fail at either, my baby. You're the best Marinette that there ever could be, and you're the greatest version of Ladybug that ever has or ever will protect our city. I'm so proud of you, and I'm so sorry you've been doing this all alone." She comforts me as she caresses my hair and rubs my back.

I've missed having my mom take care of me like this. I can't remember the last time I cried anything out with her.

"You know, Marinette. Your father is proud of you too. He's fallen victim to the misinformation being spread, but once he learns the truth I know he'll be supportive. He'll really regret everything he's said." She says this as she squeezes my shoulder. I pull back, grabbing onto her hands.

"I know, but you just can't tell him, okay mom? I really don't want anyone else to know. I'm not supposed to have anyone know my identity. Just you and Alya know now."

"Alya knows?" My mom questions, a flicker of hurt passing along her features for a split second.

"Yeah, I told her a while back. I needed someone and she was there. I'm sorry I never told you sooner."

"It's okay, honey. I'm just glad you were able to have at least one person there to support you." She squeezes my hands, and I feel so much better about everything with each passing moment.

"Can you please explain to me your relationship with Chat Noir? He knows your Ladybug?" My mom questions, a hint of amusement in her expression.

"No, he doesn't know."

"Really? So he just happens to be dating both you and Ladybug?" Her cocked eyebrow makes me question exactly how my mother just happens to know this.

"Wha-what do you-"

"I hear you two at night up in your room, talking and giggling. I can't ever make out what you're saying, but I know he's been coming over a bunch for a while now." My mom's mischievous smile makes me feel so embarrassed I wish the floor would open up and swallow me whole.