Chapter Fifteen - Face My Fears

The rest of summer blows by too fast, and I've spent that time doing what?

Nothing. Literally nothing.

I've spent every day holed up inside. I didn't spend time with my friends, or work on new designs, or even finish old ones. I didn't apply or even consider colleges. I didn't talk with anyone, let alone spend anytime with my parents either.

I also haven't seen Chat Noir since the incident that took place with the Senti-monster Ladybug. On one hand, that's for the best, that kiss was startling and very confusing. On the other hand, I miss him.

I miss him so much. I wait every night for him to show up, and he never does.

I'm scared that the rumours of us dating made him feel so disgusted that he doesn't ever want to see me again. Or that he was sick of me being such a burden.

Maybe something bad happened to him.

I shake those thoughts out of my head, climbing down off my bed and hopping in a shower. I let the water wash away all the stress I've been hoarding. I need to enjoy my last year of high school. This is the last year that all my friends and I will be in the same place.

Washing my face, I hop out of the shower and dry myself off, putting on a light amount of makeup. I put my hair into my signature two low ponytails, grabbing a pair of jeans and a light pink camisole paired with a short sleeve white cardigan.

The look is simple but cute, and I go downstairs feeling a little bit better after I pieced myself together.

"You look lovely, sweetheart." My mom says, putting a bowl of oatmeal in front of me. It's her yummy homemade oatmeal, topped with some chocolate chips and brown sugar. "Special back to school breakfast for you." She plants a kiss on my forehead as I smile into my food.

"I packed you a yummy lunch, and I'll send you with some extra pastries to give to your classmates." My dad pipes up, smiling at me from the platter of chocolate filled pastries he's holding.

"You guys are the best." I thank them, scarfing down my oatmeal and grabbing my things. Even if everything sucks, at least I have them. They'll always be a constant in my life, right?

Except I can't live with them forever. I'm almost an adult, I need to take care of myself.

Grabbing my purse, book bag, and platter of pastries, I say goodbye to my parents and begin the dreadful walk to school. Each step I draw closer to the school symbolizing the closer the end of the year will approach.

I'm being so dramatic. But, I'm allowed to be. So, screw it.

Tossing my things in my locker, I ask the school kitchen to hold onto the pastries for my class until lunch time. They slap a sticky note on it and take it for me, welcoming me to my last year of high school.

Everyone seems so excited, talking about what an exciting year it will be. If only they knew that everything changes after this, and not for the better.

Walking down the halls, I'm greeted by former classmates, everyone excited to be seeing each other again. Some I hadn't seen all summer long, I notice how tall Alix has gotten, and Juleka smiles at everyone. Her hair still covers most of her face, but she actually says hi as I approach.

"Hey Marinette, it's nice to see you again." She says the whole sentence loud and clear, making my heart swell. I love seeing her break out of her comfort zone, even if it is just by a little.

Rose comes running, decked out in pink as always, with the brightest smile on her face. She jumps into Juleka's arms, beaming up at her.

"Hiiiiya!" She exclaims to Juleka and I, her bubbly personality very contagious.