Chapter Ten - The Best Dog Washing Team to Ever Exist

A few days has passed since I last got to see Chat Noir, and I won't lie it's been really bothering me. I don't like thinking that we have this wall between us now, one that was thicker than before.

I feel like I can't be real with anyone. I'm keeping secrets from everyone I know, and it's suffocating. I'm scared I'm going to slip up and everyone will see me for what I truly am. A lying, self-absorbed weakling. A total loser.

I stare at the outfit I picked out, just plain black leggings with a pink tank top, and a white cardigan. Today is Tuesday, and I plan on going to the fundraiser for the animal shelter. I already called the other day to let them know I'd love to volunteer. Quickly getting ready, I head out the door only exchanging a few words with my parents. Lately, I feel distanced from them too. Which is very unlike our normal family dynamic.

It sucks knowing it's my fault.

I hop on my electric bike heading towards the community centre hosting the fundraiser. I try to force myself to think about all the cute animals I'll be surrounded by. That will surely cheer me up, right? When I get there I lock up my bike and take my helmet off, heading inside to get signed up.

"Whats your name, sweetie?" The woman at check in asks, her smile warm and friendly. She's really pretty, and only looks to be a few years older than me. Her long blond hair and brown eyes makes for a sight to be seen. Despite looking just about five or so years older, her professionalism makes her feel years beyond me.

"Marinette Dupain-Cheng." I say as she checks me in, handing me a volunteer pin so people can know to approach me for assistance. She goes over the whole thing, reminding me that my role will be to help bathe the dogs.

"Since this is a fundraiser for pet owners to bring their animals and receive various different spa treatments and play time for their fur babies, we have specialists around for all the trained areas. Since you don't have any training in animal grooming, we're sticking volunteers like you to help with washing the dogs and moving them to the dry station. It's very easy, and Sally over there will help teach you how to do it." She points to a woman by the bathing stations they've set up. I thank the woman, heading over to where I can store my cardigan and purse in a locker.

Paying the rental fee, I put the lock on my locker to protect Tikki from getting kidnapped. Slipping the key into my legging's pocket, I make sure it's deep inside as to not fall out.

Sally starts explaining the process, and it's pretty straight forward. Different types of shampoos for different dogs, avoid the ears, all of that stuff. My job is purely to brush, rinse, shampoo, rinse, and pass them along to continue grooming with the next team, in that order.

As I'm being introduced to the other teams, Sally points behind me to my partner at my station. I gasp, shock reverberating throughout my body as my eyes lock with none other than Adrien Agreste, standing there in dark blue shorts and a white tank top.

"Adrien!" I say as he approaches. He beams brightly at me, his face lit up enthusiastically.

"Hey there Pr-M-Marinette! R-really funny to see you here!" He stammers, a light blush covering his cheeks. A giddy excitement bubbles up in my gut, overpowering the shock I was feeling. I get to be partners with Adrien!

"I didn't know you were coming to this fundraiser! It's awesome to see you here. I guess we're partners, eh?" I smile at him, ignoring the fluttering of my heart making it hard to keep my calm. Deep breaths, in and out. Nice and easy.

"Yeah, I saw the ad and thought it would be fun to volunteer. I'm happy we get to do it together." He walks over to Sally to get the run down of everything, and before we know it we're setting up our station in comfortable silence while people with their animals start filing into the room. It quickly becomes chaos, but in a fun kind of way. The room buzzes with life, excited dogs wagging their tails and happy owners talking about their little fur babies.