Chapter Twenty One - Difficult Conversations

I head downstairs, taking a deep breath as I cling to the words Chat Noir told me. Anger is the easier emotion to feel, but that doesn't mean it's the better choice.

I have only an hour before I need to leave for school, so I have to fix everything fast. The idea of going to school when my best friend is angry at me makes my stomach churn.

I hadn't gone downstairs since Alya's phone call, not sure how to face my parents. When I approach them, my mom is busy wiping down the counters while my dad chugs back some coffee in his work attire. It's clear he needs to go back to the bakery, so I need to make this fast.

"Hi honey." My mom says, smiling over at me. I place my palms on the countertop, letting the cool surface keep me grounded.

"Mom, dad. I want to talk to you both." I say, looking at them carefully. Both of them steal quick glances at each other as they turn to give me their full undivided attention. I would laugh at their nervous faces if the situation wasn't so serious.

"Look. I love you both. And I understand you're concerned about me. But I don't like that you talked to my friend about that, and not me. It feels wrong to blast my personal stuff to someone, even if that someone is really close to me. If and when I'm ready to talk about the things that are bothering me, I'll come to you. And Alya. I'll tell you all when I'm ready too. Please understand I'm trying the best I can." I gulp, staring at my soft-faced parents with their gentle expression and loving eyes.

"Oh sweetheart, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to upset you, I just wanted to know if it was something we were doing here at home that was upsetting you. I wanted to know if you act like this out with your friends too." My mom admits, clutching the cloth in her hand with white knuckles. My dad nods in agreement with my mom.

"I know, and I love you for caring and wanting to look out for me. It's nothing anyone has done, it's just me. I'm anxious all the time. I'm sorry for making you worry, but please just come talk to me next time."

"We will hon, please talk to us about whatever you want, whenever you want." My dad says, the weight lifting off my shoulders. "We love you." He adds, hand squeezing my mom's shoulder.

"Yes, we love you more that anything, Marinette." My mom pipes up, and I quickly walk around the counter to embrace them both.

"I love you both too." With that, I pull back and smile at them. "I need to go speak to Alya. Is that okay?"

"Yeah, of course. Just don't be late for school." My mom says, hand reaching out to smooth my hair. I sigh, smiling at them. I feel better after getting that off my chest.

Now time to go deal with my explosive best friend.

—————
I wait apprehensively at my best friend's door for her to come outside. When she slips out, she looks exhausted and grumpy.

Neither of us say anything for a moment, both just standing there awkwardly. This is new territory for us, we've never really fought before.

"I'm sorry." I finally say, not sure where to start. "I should have called you to tell you, but at the same time I'm allowed to keep things to myself. Being best friends doesn't mean we need to be completely candid about everything, right away, at all times. I was just processing stuff before I told you what happened."

"Best friends share secrets, Marinette." She retorts, crossing her arms.

"I know, and I'm so thankful you're my best friend. You always go above and beyond to help me. But I wasn't keeping this a secret. I just didn't know where to begin. How am I supposed to explain things to you when even I don't know how I feel?" I explain to my best friend, praying she understands I didn't do anything with malicious intent.