Chapter Twenty Three - This Is What Im Living For

I settle down onto our picnic spot, the soft pillow making a nice cushion underneath me. My heart feels full, watching as Chat Noir picks out various containers of food for us to eat.

"Is this Chinese food from that cute little restaurant downtown?" I ask, peeking into the containers and some paper bags. The fortune cookies are the dead give away.

"It is, they're really friendly there and make great food. I ordered it right before I set this place up, then came to grab you." He smiles, handing me a white paper plate. I grin, taking heaping spoonfuls of a wide variety of food. Chat Noir let's out a hearty laugh, taking a plate for himself.

"This is really thoughtful, Chat." I say before stuffing my mouth with delicious rice and mixed vegetable stir fry. I hardly even finish that before I dip a chicken ball into some plum sauce and plop it into my mouth.

"I'm glad you like it. How were you able to leave at this time of night?" He questions, taking a bite of a chicken ball as well.

"I told my parents I was going to Alya's house for a little get together with some friends." Sure, I lied. But there was no other way I would be allowed to go out at night, especially dressed up. It would have seemed suspicious without a cover of some kind.

I have Tikki with me, and Chat Noir. Arguably, I'm the safest person in all of Paris right now.

"Not bad. One day, we'll tell them we're dating." He smiles at me, a light blush on his cheeks. I try to will my heart to calm down, the butterflies in my stomach doing a full trapeze routine.

"Hey now, you're breaking a rule. No labels." I retort, ignoring the way my heart flutters at the prospect of being Chat Noir's girlfriend.

"Fine, fine. Whenever you're ready to face the facts, we'll discuss it." He smirks, shoving a spoonful of rice in his mouth.

"What are the facts, hmm?" I challenge, repositioning myself on the pillow. I try to keep myself busy, hoping I come off as light hearted and humorous, rather than desperate to know his thoughts.

"That we bring out the best in each other. That life is more wonderful and enjoyable when I'm with you, and I have a feeling that you feel the same way." I stare into his eyes, no hint of teasing within his beautiful green gaze. I try to sort through the mess in my mind for an appropriate response but come up blank.

"That, and you're just dying for me to be your boyfriend." He adds, reaching over to poke my nose. I laugh, swatting him away.

"If I was, I'd simply ask you to be my boyfriend."

"Hey, don't try to take that moment away from me. We're taking things slow, just like you said. But one day, I want to ask you that." His eyes gaze over at the roses, my heart thumping wildly as I realize maybe he was going to ask that tonight.

It's better we don't label it yet. I just know I'll screw it up if I add any pressure to myself.

"I like you a lot, Chat Noir. I'm happy just taking things slow. Not because I want time to explore other options, but because I don't want to ruin this." I do what I do best, be truthful and vulnerable with him. Well, as truthful as I can be.

He's the easiest person to talk to, in all honesty.

"Trust me when I tell you, you're not going to ruin anything." He beams a beautiful thousand watt smile that dazzles me, making my heart thump in ways I never knew was possible.

"Wanna crack open some fortune cookies?" He offers after a few minutes of comfortable silence while we eat. I nod my head enthusiastically, swallowing the food in my mouth. I take a cookie, opening up the little package and cracking it in half.