BONUS CHAPTER - FOUR: Flowers In Her Hair | POV: Juleka Couffaine

This scene takes place not long after the epilogue, with a flashback from the morning of Chapter Fifteen - Face My Fears

Contents of this chapter may be unsuitable for some readers. Mentions of abuse, trauma and discrimination. Readers discretion is advised. 

I stare at my beautiful wife playing with our foster son, Becks. He's twelve, but has such an old soul. His new current obsession is gardening, so Rose is out there helping him plant some perennials. I think tulips and strawberries.

Watching her and how she gently parents our foster son reminds me of when I first realized I loved her. I close my eyes, taking a deep breath of the fresh air in our backyard as I bring fourth the memory to the front of my mind. It's been almost ten years, and yet I remember it as if it were yesterday.

Rose sits on the ground of my bedroom, trying to put together of bouquet of different flowers to give to my mom for her birthday. It was a really sweet gesture, one that made my heart beat faster in my chest. The two of us have discussed our feelings for each other before, but we're content on just spending time together like we always do. We don't want to label anything, because there is always this uncertainty of whether we will be accepted by everyone around us.

Lesbians aren't often respected. As with anyone in the LGBTQ+ community, it's exhausting to fight for our rights against people who are always so quick to invalidate us. And even those who aren't inherently homophobic, you can still run into so many people that disgustingly sexualize us. As though lesbians exist for men to watch and get off too.

It makes me angry. And scared. Fearful enough that I don't want to drag Rose into such a life, especially if I can't protect her.

"Oh no! I ruined some of the stems! They're too flimsy now, and if I cut them, then they're too short!" Rose exclaims, looking up at me with big, tearful eyes. I chuckle, hopping off my bed and sitting down beside her.

"You have so many here, I'm sure missing a few won't affect the bouquet."

"That's not the point! These flowers were picked and now will serve no purpose, they'll just be discarded. I ruined them." She holds the few small daisies, lily of the valley and one big pink transvaal daisy in her grasp as she examines the busted stems. I take them gently from her, watching her watery gaze slowly look up at me. I reach out with my free hand, swiping away a runaway tear that trickles down her cheek.

"They're not ruined, how about you finish the bouquet while I braid your hair?" I smile down at her, watching her frown slowly morph into a shy smile.

"Okay."

I run my fingers through her long, soft blond strands. Rose told me she didn't want to grow it out, but she was bored of having short hair she couldn't do much with. However, she struggles with styling it. I've never been one to braid my own hair, but I learned to do it for Rose.

In moment's like this where we're sitting quietly, listening to the soft music my brother is playing in the other room, with me braiding her hair, everything feels right.

I can't believe that this sweet, wonderful girl could possible harbour feelings for someone like me. I'm not nearly as optimistic as her. She believes that the world is full of good. I believe the world is filled with people pretending until they get what they want, then they destroy the ones around them. I've seen it time and time again. It's hard to keep hope when everything sucks.