Chapter Forty Two - Nothing Gold Can Stay | The End

September 1st
Move in day

"Marinette! Don't run!" My mom calls out, but I can't help myself from sprinting towards the apartment. I'm in freaking New York! And right in front of me is going to be my new home for the next few years!

My home with Adrien. A new start for the both of us, where we can work on our studies and also spend our free time together.

Adrien's laughter snaps me out of my dreamy daze of picturing our lives together in our new apartment, imagining how we're going to make it our home.

"Come on, Princess. Let's head in together." He says quietly as he steps up beside me, jingling the keys in front of my face. I giggle, snatching them from him as I try to dart off.

Wrapping his arms around my waist, he pulls me back to keep me with him. I playfully try to shove him away, but he just holds me tighter. Turning my chin to face him, he leans in to plant a sweet kiss on my lips as he makes use of the distraction to take the keys back.

My dad lightly smacks the back of his head, making him pull away with a shy blush creeping up his neck. I laugh, watching my parents walk hand in hand into the apartment building.

We take the elevator up to our seventh floor unit. My mom nervously glances around, her lips pursed.

"I'm not a fan of how high up your apartment is. That's a fire hazard. If you both needed to evacuate, you'd have to rush down so many flights of stairs!" She exclaims, her face laced with concern. I laugh, pointing to my earrings.

"Mom, if there was a fire, we'd just leave out the window." I giggle, watching her lips form a small 'o' as she remembers I'm not just a normal girl. I'm Ladybug, and my partner is Chat Noir. An emergency escape is what we do best.

"Still. Not safe." She scowls, making me laugh some more. My dad gives her a comforting squeeze on her shoulder as the elevator dings, the big doors opening up to expose the hallway.

Everything is nicely clean, which earns some serious brownie points from both my mom and I. The overpowering smell of lavender cleaner in the hallway makes my nose scrunch a little, but it's still very lovely in here. I see our apartment number, 709, and I feel the excited butterflies in my stomach do several flips and twirls.

"There it is!" I whisper yell, not wanting to disturb my new neighbours. I'm practically vibrating in my clothes, trying to snatch the keys back from Adrien who looks equally as excited as me, his eyes locked on mine with such a tender love in his expression.

It makes my butterflies have a full blown war within my gut, my muscles twitching to reach out for him. I start to do a little dance in my spot as I watch Adrien unlock the door, and the two of us step inside.

"Oh. My. Gosh!" I squeal, my father laughing behind us as we all make our way inside. From the door, we can see directly into the doorway that leads into the bedroom. To our left is another door leading to a lavish bathroom with both a comfortably sized bathtub, a standing shower stall, and a beautiful vanity with a marbled sink cabinet that has enough space to lay out all our bathroom supplies. The bright lights around the mirror makes me giddy, practically bouncing up and down as I take in the gorgeous bathroom.

Walking deeper into the apartment, to the right it branches out into a big square shape with the kitchen to the right side of the room, a large open space for a dining table, and to the left is our big living room that leads to a balcony overlooking the alleyway beside our building. Not the more impressive view, but it's still exciting.