Chapter Twenty Two - You're So Pretty It Hurts | Chat Noir's POV

CHAT NOIR's POV:

I stare at Marinette as she walks the streets at night. It's 10:12pm, and after many days of convincing, she has finally agreed to go on a real date with me.

I want to treat the girl that I love out on a romantic evening, to give her the kind of pampering and appreciation that she deserves.

She's really skeptical of the idea, afraid we'll get caught and have a senti-monster Ladybug situation all over again. But I think my plan is pretty solid.

She's meeting me in a secluded area, where I'll drop down and grab her, then take her to a date I've got set up somewhere even more hidden.

It should be enough to keep us out of the public eye. And if it's not? Oh well. I'll protect her, that much I'm capable of.

However, she doesn't know I'm trailing her right now. I couldn't stand the idea of her being out at night all by herself.

Looking at her, it doesn't take much convincing to make me believe she can handle herself just fine. I trust her to make smart decisions, and to be able to protect herself if something does go south.

Marinette Dupain-Cheng is the most beautiful, resilient and caring person that I've ever met. She's so smart and strong, and on top of that, she's so pretty it hurts.

I see everything I hold dear residing in those eyes of hers. She's perfect.

I never intended on her falling in love with me as Chat Noir. I wanted her to love me as Adrien, so I could date her publicly. I want so badly to be able to hold her and tell everyone 'this is my beautiful girlfriend, Marinette Dupain-Cheng'.

That very first night I visited her on her balcony, I was just out and about. I needed some fresh air, to get away from my stuffy house and my cold hearted father. My thoughts of getting to see Marinette soon at school led me towards her house. But I never intended on seeing her that night.

However, when I saw her and her eyes filled with despair, my heart broke. I knew she needed a friend more than anything, and I figured I could be her close friend as Chat Noir that she could lean on. And as Adrien, I could ask her out and maybe be her boyfriend.

I didn't mean for everything to get so muddled. I shouldn't have flirted with her so much, but I couldn't help it. I may have two identity's, but I have only one heart. And it screams for Marinette, only appeased when I have her in my arms.

Watching her, my heart soars knowing she has feelings for me in return. It makes me want to scoop her up and never let her go.

I love her. I really do. And I won't let anything keep us apart, I'll be there for her in whatever capacity she wants me to be.

I won't let even my father keep us away from each other. If ever comes a time when he stands in my way, I'll disobey him. I'll take my money and leave. I have enough in my name that I don't need my father to look after me.

I'll be 18 soon enough. And when I do, I won't need my father anymore. I love him, but I refuse to let him dictate every aspect of my life anymore.

Especially when it comes to who I love. If he wants to be miserable, then that's his decision. But I choose to be happy.

And Marinette makes me the happiest. When I'm with her I feel like all of my problems are slowly easing away. My mom would have loved Marinette, and that thought makes me happy in a bittersweet way.