Chapter Forty One - So Dawn Goes Down To Day

6 Months Later
One day after Graduation

For the last year, I have been so scared of this. My first day being completely finished high school, wondering what will come next.

Suddenly, I'm where I was once so afraid to be. And truly, it's not nearly as awful as I expected it.

I was scared that my life would fall apart, like a cookie that wasn't baked long enough. Crumbling into pieces the moment I was removed from the only environment I've really known for these last few years.

Then it hit me.

None of it is that serious. I made this day out to be this giant monster looming over me, like a ticking time bomb that was going to explode and leave me broken and damaged. But in reality, as I brush my teeth and stare at my reflection, everything is the same.

Sure, summer is now here and it's my last summer with all my friends in the same place. But that doesn't change much, because we'll always come back home eventually. We all have dreams to go out and achieve, and some are staying behind while they figure out what those dreams are. We all work at our own pace, and truly, it's a beautiful thing.

My parents will always be here, as will our bakery and my home. This room that I've spent the better part of my life in, will remain untouched even if I'm gone for a long time. My parents have promised me that I will always have my room here.

Hawkmoth is gone. He's been unmasked, exposed, and imprisoned. I no longer have to remain in Paris to try to fight him. I'm completely free, and it's not really that scary.

Since Gabriel's arrest, Adrien and I have been working extra hard to boost our grades, and it has certainly paid off. We both graduated with honours. My average was 86% by the time school finished, and Adrien had an impressive 94%. Turns out, being Chat Noir never really affected his grades too much. Somehow, despite going through so much in life, Adrien has always persevered and excelled at whatever he put his mind to.

It's incredible.

I put my toothbrush away, combing my hair as I divide it into two sections and toss them into two long ponytails. Applying some light mascara, I just brush my eyebrows and swipe some chapstick over my lips. Lastly, I put a few pumps of facial moisturizer on my fingertips and rub it into my skin. Even if my face is already so soft, part of the reason I continue to do this is because the routine of it makes me feel at ease.

I head downstairs, smiling to myself. I'm going to enjoy this summer with everyone before I head off to New York. The most exciting yet nerve wracking change is coming, and I honestly can't wait. Adrien and I are moving to New York together, to start university.

He's going to be attending New York University to get his Bachellor's in Business, so he can startup his own modelling agency. Specifically, he wants to specialize in underage models, so he can help protect them from the predatory behaviours that the modelling industry normalizes. Especially for younger models, who don't know better and don't want to risk their careers. From his experience, it's easy to get roped into sets and photoshoots that make you uncomfortable when you're being told you have no choice, that it's something you have to do if you want to be a successful model. I'm so proud of him for finding something he's passionate about that he wants to pursue.

As for me, I'm attending the Fashion Institute of Technology, also in New York. My plan is to study fashion design there, and begin my own brand of ethically manufactured clothing that is super cute yet affordable. It'll be like high-end fashion that doesn't break your bank. I don't know what my brand would be called, but I think my slogan would be 'affordably adorable'. That is, obviously, subject to change. With Adrien starting his own modelling company, we could always partner up together. I'll hire his models to show off my designs, and in return he helps promote my brand.